TURNING THE ENEMY INTO AN ENEMY OF THE ENEMY
- On the high road. // New York Amsterdam News;07/10/97, Vol. 88 Issue 28, p2
Presents a caption story on a visit to Sacred Heart Church in New York City, by John Cardinal O'Connor and Bronx Borough President Fernando Ferrer.
- People to watch. Cardinal O'Connor. Sheler, J.L. // U.S. News & World Report;12/31/90, Vol. 109 Issue 26, p78
Comments that John Cardinal O'Connor's blunt outspokenness on volatile issues like abortion and AIDS have made the archbishop of New York the most influential religious figure in the US today. Former rear admiral and chief of Navy chaplains, O'Connor, 70, reviled as a demagogue, respected for...
- Clinton not invited, paper says. Malcolm, Teresa // National Catholic Reporter;09/06/96, Vol. 32 Issue 38, p6
Reports on the statement made by Cardinal John J. O'Connor published in the August 22, 1996 issue of the `New York Post' newspaper about excluding President Bill Clinton in the traditional Al Smith dinner.
- Religion. // Advocate;06/06/2000, Issue 813, p18
Announces the death of cardinal John O'Connor, the head of the Roman Catholic archdiocese of New York on May 3, 2000. Support of O'Connor against homosexuality; Role in the eviction of Dignity, a gay Catholic group from a local parish; Identification of O'Connor by AIDS activists as the symbol...
- Church's clout may be waning, but N.Y. is still the... Jones, Arthur // National Catholic Reporter;05/29/98, Vol. 34 Issue 30, p3
Features Cardinal John O'Connor, archbishop of New York. His attempt to resign as archbishop of New York; Personal background; Discussion on the quality that New Yorkers admire in the archdiocese; Information on a major archdiocesan campaign. INSETS: Overseeing liturgy in a land of many...
- O'Connor on schools, pope and politics. Jones, Arthur // National Catholic Reporter;05/29/98, Vol. 34 Issue 30, p8
Features Cardinal John O'Connor, archbishop of New York. His personal characteristics; His views regarding catholic schools and politics in New York; Major challenges for his successor.
- A chronology of declarations, trips, some slips of the... Jones, Arthur // National Catholic Reporter;05/29/98, Vol. 34 Issue 30, p9
Features Cardinal John J. O'Connor, archbishop of New York. Personal information; Achievements; Highlights of his work in New York.
- Schools, services in Catholic New York. Jones, Arthur // National Catholic Reporter;05/29/98, Vol. 34 Issue 30, p10
Provides information on the catholic schools and services in New York. Cardinal John O'Connor's commitment to education; Background information of Monseigneur James Murray; Information on Catholic charities in New York; Importance of Catholic charities.
- Newspaper Report: Gay Pol Compared Cleric to Hitler. // Advocate;4/10/90, Issue 548, p19
Reports that Republican legislators in New York State called on Ernest Reaugh, the gay liaison to state senate Democratic leader Manfred Ohrenstein, to publicly apologize or face suspension after he was quoted in the press as comparing Roman Catholic cardinal John O'Connor to Adolt Hitler. ...