Go(o)d in Iris Murdoch
- Ideas of the Good: Iris Murdoch's "The Sea, The Sea." Capitani, Diane N. // Christianity & Literature;Autumn2003, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p99
Discusses the moral philosophy of English writer, Iris Murdoch, in her novel "The Sea, The Sea." Characters of the story; Theme of the story; Comment on Murdoch's ideas of morality.
- A divine literary intelligence. Cowley, Jason // New Statesman;02/12/99, Vol. 128 Issue 4423, p15
Profiles writer Iris Murdoch. Views about Christianity; Description of Murdoch's fiction; Comparison with Fyodor Dostoevsky.
- Reconsidering Iris Murdoch's Moral Realism. Jordan, Jessy // Journal of Value Inquiry;Sep2014, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p371
In this article, the author reflects on the theory of moral realism proposed by philosopher Iris Murdoch. It analyzes Murdoch's views of the concepts of good, moral objectivity, and response-dependent account of moral values. Objective moral reality, subjectivism, and observation of moral...
- AN INTERVIEW WITH IRIS MURDOCH. Bellamy, Michael O. // Contemporary Literature;Spring77, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p129
Presents an interview with writer Iris Murdoch. Comparison between the nineteenth and twentieth century writers; Influence of television on twentieth century literature; Views on the writings of sarte.
- "A Just and Loving Gaze": Iris Murdoch's Theory of the Novel. Squires, Constance // Philological Review;Fall2005, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p59
This article evaluates the literary work of leading English author Iris Murdoch. In particular it discusses Murdoch's use of the old Platonic allegory, which she understood as a structural "metaphor of vision" makes her dislike of being labeled a philosophical novelist seem odd and hard to...
- An Interview with Iris Murdoch. Slaymaker, William // Papers on Language & Literature;Fall85, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p425
Interviews writer Iris Murdoch. Her opinion on the limitation of human freedom; Her interest in existentialism; Views of Murdoch on love.
- IRIS MURDOCH. Murray, Lisa A. // Research Guide to Biography & Criticism;1985, Vol. 2, p846
This article presents a research guide to the life and works of author Iris Murdoch. Born Jean Iris Murdoch, July 15, 1919 in Dublin, Ireland of Anglo-Irish parents; 1937 completes secondary education at Badminton School, Bristol: 1938 studies at Sommerville College, Oxford University; 1942...
- Iris Murdoch (1919-1999). Stanhope, Victoria // Off Our Backs;Mar99, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p5
Reports on the death of author and philosopher Iris Murdoch on February 8, 1999. Educational background; Accomplishments as an author and philosopher.
- Aligning the Connotations of Love and Freedom in the Novels of Iris Murdoch. Kashyap, Tanu // Language in India;Nov2010, Vol. 10 Issue 11, p413
The article discusses the connotations of freedom and love in the novels of British author Iris Murdoch. It says that Murdoch emerged as a powerful intellectual and original theorist of fiction with the publication of her first novel "Under the Net" in 1954. According to the author, Murdoch...