MORAL THEOLOGY AT ITS PIQUE
- Discipline, not doctrine, is nub of pope's new encyclical. Hebblethwaite, Peter // National Catholic Reporter;10/1/93, Vol. 29 Issue 42, p9
Discusses `Veritatis Splendor,' the encyclical of Pope John Paul II. Leak of the contents by Norbert Greinacher, professor of moral theology at Tubingen University; Gist of the encyclical; Disciplinary purpose; Appeal to bishops to take seriously their duty.
- John Paul's Quarter-Century. Thavis, John // America;10/6/2003, Vol. 189 Issue 10, p8
Celebrates the 25 years of Pope John Paul II in office, as of October 2003. Number of countries he has visited; Disappointments in recent years; Health condition; Encyclicals he has authored over the last ten years.
- Laborers had a friend in Pope John Paul II. Craughwell, Thomas J. // Our Sunday Visitor;5/1/2011, Vol. 100 Issue 1, p10
The article expounds on the views of Pope John Paul II about labor that are based on Pope Leo XIII's 1891 encyclical "Rerum Novarum," including the purpose of labor unions, and workers' rights to health care, rest and pension and insurance.
- Letter from Rome. // Commonweal;5/23/2003, Vol. 130 Issue 10, p5
Provides information on the encyclical letter 'Ecclesia de eucharistia' issued by Pope John Paul II on Holy Thursday in 2003. Contents of the encyclical; Passion of the pope for his church; Mystery of the Eucharist; Religious career of the pope.
- That Encyclical. // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Aug/Sep1991, Issue 15, p11
Comments on an encyclical of Pope John Paul II titled "Centesimus Annus (The Hundredth Year)." Endorsement of democratic capitalism; Factors that will lead to the achievement of economic justice; Implication of the theory of redistribution on the global economy.
- The Papal Social Encyclical (Book). Corrie, Bruce P. // Challenge (05775132);Jan/Feb92, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p63
Reviews the book "Centesimus Annus" by Pope John Paul II.
- The Splendor of Truth: A Symposium. George, Robert P. // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Jan1994, Issue 39, p24
Focuses on issues related to "The Splendor of Truth" tenth encyclical issued by Pope John Paul II in October 1993. Method being used by proportionalists theologians in analyzing the encyclical; Philosophical objections of secular thinkers and Christian philosophers to proportionalism's...
- A most misunderstood message. Woodard, Joe // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;10/25/93, Vol. 20 Issue 45, p38
Looks at the reaction of the Canadian Catholic press and the secular press to publication of `The Splendor of Truth' by Pope John Paul II, a direct contradiction of fashionably heretical and semi-heretical currents among liberal Catholic intelligentsia. Negative and positive morality;...
- What bishop might tell her people about encyclical. Ruether, Rosemary Radfor // National Catholic Reporter;11/12/93, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p18
Opinion. Presents the author's idea of what a bishop might say to his/her flock about Pope John Paul II's encyclical `Veritatis splendor.' Untenable opinions presented as unquestionable moral absolutes; Pope's conception of the church as a world totalitarian party/state; Error of infallibility.