The Wide World of Sports
- Fred Bowen. McElmeel, Sharron L. // Library Talk;Jan/Feb2001, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p20
Profiles author Fred Bowen. How he came to write sport stories for intermediate and middle school teachers; Views of Bowen in writing sports stories.
- Sports columnists sound off. McCleneghan, J. Sean // Editor & Publisher;3/19/94, Vol. 127 Issue 12, p72
Presents the findings of a national study on syndicated and nonsyndicated sports columnists, conducted at New Mexico State University. Areas where sports opinion leaders differ; Estimated yearly earnings; Remarks from several columnists.
- He kept the calliope playing. Kindred, Dave // Sporting News;08/31/98, Vol. 222 Issue 35, p63
Praises the writings of sportswriter Jim Murray. Examples of some of his lines; Description of Murray's humor; Tragedies encountered by Murray.
- The sports E-mailbag: Taking back the barbs. Looney, Douglas S. // Christian Science Monitor;10/2/98, Vol. 90 Issue 217, pB8
Offers the authors perspective on e-mail comments and criticism regarding his sports column. Apologies from readers for e-mails sent in anger; Various opinions on sports reporting.
- Ä°LK SPOR YAZARLARIMIZDAN SELÄ°M SIRRI TARCAN VE YENÄ° MUHÄ°T DERGÄ°SÄ°NDEKÄ° YAZILARINDAN Ã–RNEKLER. SEYHAN, Salih // Global Media Journal: Turkish Edition;Fall2012, Vol. 3 Issue 5, p129
Both in the late Ottoman period and in the first period of the Republic, in which Tarcan Selim Sirri lived, he had a very important place in Turkish sports. He received training in physical education in Europe. After finishing his education he started to study physical education, folklore, and...
- HELLO, GOLF. ARE YOU THERE? IT'S ME, JOE! Posnanski, Joe // Golf Magazine;Aug2011, Vol. 53 Issue 8, p132
The author offers opinions on golf and golfers. He notes he will be writing a monthly column on the sport for the publication, despite having played the game only once, although he covered golf in his career as a sports journalist. The hope is expressed that the column will allow both the author...
- LETTER FROM THE PUBLISHER. Meyers, John A. // Sports Illustrated;6/13/1977, Vol. 46 Issue 25, p6
The author talks about the career and family life of "Sports Illustrated" staff writer Larry Keith. For his article on baseballs in the present issue, Keith did his research at The Haller Testing Laboratories in Plainfield, New Jersey. The author says the deadline for that article on baseballs...
- It Isn't Just A Game. Reilly, Rick // Sports Illustrated;11/12/2007, Vol. 107 Issue 19, p86
The author of the humorous article states that sports and sports writing are important because sports is an honest part of life, and sports reality television features real blood and sweat. He recalls when basketball player Tom Burleson hit him with a bloody tooth. Sports depends on performing...
- GAME FACE. Daugherty, Paul // Cincinnati Magazine;Apr2009, Vol. 42 Issue 7, p90
The article features the life and career of sports writer Paul Daugherty. It states that the family of Daugherty moved from Long Island, New York to Cincinnati, Ohio in 1988 and first got his sports reporting at the periodical "Carroll County Times" in Westminster, Maryland. It mentions that the...