SCIENCE, RELIGION, AND VOLLEYBALL
- Visions, secular and sacred. Midgley, Mary // Hastings Center Report;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p20
Attempts to reconcile science and religion. Treating evolution as a religion; Need for visions; Cybernetic angle; Role of the numinous; James Lovelock's notion of Gaia.
- Is Science a Religion? Dawkins, Richard // Humanist;Jan/Feb97, Vol. 57 Issue 1, p26
Presents a speech delivered by the author in accepting the 1996 Humanist of the Year award from the American Humanist Association. Question of whether science is a religion in itself; Role science can play in religious education.
- Science and faith: An astronomer's perspective. Corbally, Christopher J. // America;4/9/1994, Vol. 170 Issue 12, p22
Discusses the relationship between science and faith. Non-opposition of the Catholic Church and its pastors to science; Common quest for understanding; Enhancement of science through the filter of faith and vice versa.
- Religion and science: The emerging dialogue. Byers, David M. // America;4/20/1996, Vol. 174 Issue 13, p8
Focuses on the interactions between religion and science. History of conflicts and cooperation between religion and science; Pope John Paul II's views on science; Factors contributing to the successful relationship between religion and science.
- The Science of Mind and discoveries of reality. // Christian Science Monitor;10/6/99, Vol. 91 Issue 218, p19
Asserts that a cooperation between science and religion lies ahead.
- The sciences and faith. // Christian Science Monitor;4/10/97, Vol. 89 Issue 94, p16
Editorial. Discusses the relationship between science, technology and religion. Survey conducted by James Lueba, an atheist, on people who are involved in sciences, to assess their belief in God; Name of person who tested Lueba's thesis.
- Reclaiming the soul of science. Colson, Charles // Christianity Today;8/14/95, Vol. 39 Issue 9, p64
Discusses the relations between science and religion. Key presuppositions of Christian belief; Natural order as inscrutable; God's rationality that orders nature.
- Science in the face of religion and mysticism. Raman, Varadaraja V. // World & I;Oct96, Vol. 11 Issue 10, p208
Looks at trend of the return of religion and mysticism into the arena of science. Proliferation of books on the extrarational implications of the scientific worldview as evidence; Two contrasting schools of though concerning this issue; Pursuit of a healthy balance between science and religion...
- Academic anti-science. Levitt, Norman; Gross, Paul R. // Academe;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 82 Issue 6, p38
Discusses the changing attitude of nonscientist intellectuals against the growing number of loosely organized community of scholars involved in science study phenomenon. Recrudescence of the 19th century outlook; Occurrence of distortion; Concoction of critical gloss by science studies...