WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Keeping the faith. Gallagher, John // Advocate;07/22/97, Issue 738, p40
The article explores the influence of religious values on gay civil rights in the U.S. Today, antigay laws no longer take their authority from church doctrine--at least not in theory. But the arguments in favor of those laws are certainly informed by religious attitudes in the U.S. The passage...
- LETTERS. // National Catholic Reporter;7/2/2004, Vol. 40 Issue 33, p23
Presents several letters to the editor referencing to the articles previously published in the "National Catholic Reporter." "Going to Byzantium," by Patrick Giles; "Juvenile Justice," by Arthur Jones; "Protesting Gays Denied Communion."
- Protests and sit-in besiege meeting of U.S. bishops. // National Catholic Reporter;11/24/2000, Vol. 37 Issue 6, p7
Reports on a protest during the annual meeting of Catholic bishops in the United States on November 13 to 16, 2000 in Washington. Why the bishops in the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception did not offer Communion to members of the Rainbow Sash Movement of gays and lesbians; Actions...
- Acting on Faith. Nicosia, Michael // Empty Closet;Sep2008, Issue 416, p7B
The author reflects on the need for the church and religious leaders not to be judgmental with gays. He notes that an episode of the television cartoon "South Park" depicted a rabbit Snowball as a pope who did not impose rules on how people should live their lives. He says that religious leaders...
- RELIGION IN AMERICA. BOSTON, ROB // Humanist;Jan/Feb2014, Vol. 74 Issue 1, p34
The author discusses religious life among Americans in the 21st century, stating that many are redefining religion, rejecting longstanding dogma, and pursuing their own forms of spirituality. Citing the disapproval of this trend by religious leaders who have responded by reinforcing their dogma,...
- For many in community, holidays are a time to reflect on religion - or a lack thereof. Giordano, Scott A. // Bay Windows;12/9/1999, pN.PAG
Focuses on the experiences of gays with organized religion and their attitudes towards it. Experiences of a gay man with the Catholic Church which led him to oppose any organized religion; Practice of organized religion by a gay man despite its consequences on his sexual orientation; Joining of...
- Jerusalem Catholic leader: â€˜Destroy churches, not homesâ€™. Donovan, Gill // National Catholic Reporter;3/16/2001, Vol. 37 Issue 20, p12
Reports on the Lenten appeal of spiritual leader of Roman Catholics to Jews, Muslims and Catholics in Jerusalem. Plead for cease-fire in the violence between Jews and Muslims; Destruction of church buildings.
- THIS WEEK IN NEWS. // Our Sunday Visitor;10/18/2009, Vol. 96 Issue 25, p3
This section offers news briefs on issues of interest to the Catholic Church as of October 18, 2009 including the appeal of Cardinal FrancRode to U.S. bishops to contribute funds to a study project by the Vatican's Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life,...
- Bishops emeriti keep busy in their retirement. Eidemiller, Maryann Gogniat // Our Sunday Visitor;10/21/2012, Vol. 101 Issue 25, p4B
The article features six prelates who are still in love with and active in serving the Catholic Church.