TO STEP GINGERLY OVER THE CLIFF
- Doctor Kills Himself after Discovering Suicide Patient Lied. Townsend, Liz // National Right to Life News;2005, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p5
The article reports that a Swiss doctor who helped a German woman commit suicide killed himself when an autopsy discovered that the woman was not terminally ill. The general practitioner who issued a falsified medical report defended himself. Officials from Dignitas, the health center in...
- Legislating for Active Voluntary Euthanasia. Humphry, Derek // Humanist;Mar/Apr88, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p10
A newly formed organization (the Hemlock Society) is seeking to take the issue of the right to die directly to the people; Calif.'s vote for voluntary euthanasia in Nov. 1988. The Humane and Dignified Death Act; Euthanasia legislation in the Netherlands; Americans Against Human Suffering.
- AGES 19 AND UNDER THIRD PLACE. Bell, Janet L. // Humanist;Mar/Apr85, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p26
Discusses euthanasia. Humanistic methods of euthanasia; Policy changes; Controversy over euthanasia.
- Suicide assisted by two Swiss right-to-die organisations. Fischer, S; Huber, C A; Imhof, L; Mahrer Imhof, R; Furter, M; Ziegler, S J; Bosshard, G // Journal of Medical Ethics;Nov2008, Vol. 34 Issue 11, p810
Background: In Switzerland, non-medical right-to-die organisations such as Exit Deutsche Schweiz and Dignitas offer suicide assistance to members suffering from incurable diseases. Objectives: First, to determine whether differences exist between the members who received assistance in suicide...
- Why active euthanasia and physician assisted suicide should be legalised. Doyal, Len; Doyal, Lesley // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);11/10/2001, Vol. 323 Issue 7321, p1079
Editorial. Argues that euthanasia and physician assisted suicide should be legalized in Great Britain. Suggestion that withdrawing life sustaining treatments from patients who will never recover can be the same as actively taking that life; Opinion that it is in the best interest of some...
- Ethics. Pellegrino, Edmund D. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;6/19/91, Vol. 265 Issue 23, p3118
Discusses ethical issues associated with euthanasia. Definition of euthanasia; Toleration of euthanasia in the Netherlands; Conditions in executing euthanasia.
- EUTHANASIA AND ASSISTED SUICIDE TODAY. Marker, Rita L. // Society;May/Jun2006, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p59
The article discusses the issues of euthanasia and assisted suicide in contemporary society. The legalization of euthanasia is a politically charged issue in the United States, but it is gaining support around the world. While the practice of assisted suicide is illegal in the United States,...
- Assisted Suicide: Guide to Critical Analysis. // Points of View: Assisted Suicide;3/1/2016, p4
This article offers a critical guide to the controversial issue of assisted suicide. The article discusses criteria in understanding the issue, such as distinguishing between fact and opinion and recognizing point and counterpoint arguments. Also presented are exercises that help the reader...
- Point: Active Euthanasia Should Be Outlawed. Pawlick, Peter; DiLascio, Tracey M. // Points of View: Assisted Suicide;3/1/2016, p2
The article argues against the legalization of assisted suicide in the U.S. It asserts that active euthanasia threatens the marginalized groups in the country. It adds that the right to die and the autonomy of patients should always be protected and preserved. An explanation on the concept of...