TO STEP GINGERLY OVER THE CLIFF
- Doctor Kills Himself after Discovering Suicide Patient Lied. Townsend, Liz // National Right to Life News;2005, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p5
The article reports that a Swiss doctor who helped a German woman commit suicide killed himself when an autopsy discovered that the woman was not terminally ill. The general practitioner who issued a falsified medical report defended himself. Officials from Dignitas, the health center in...
- Legislating for Active Voluntary Euthanasia. Humphry, Derek // Humanist;Mar/Apr88, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p10
A newly formed organization (the Hemlock Society) is seeking to take the issue of the right to die directly to the people; Calif.'s vote for voluntary euthanasia in Nov. 1988. The Humane and Dignified Death Act; Euthanasia legislation in the Netherlands; Americans Against Human Suffering.
- Why active euthanasia and physician assisted suicide should be legalised. Doyal, Len; Doyal, Lesley // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);11/10/2001, Vol. 323 Issue 7321, p1079
Editorial. Argues that euthanasia and physician assisted suicide should be legalized in Great Britain. Suggestion that withdrawing life sustaining treatments from patients who will never recover can be the same as actively taking that life; Opinion that it is in the best interest of some...
- AGES 19 AND UNDER THIRD PLACE. Bell, Janet L. // Humanist;Mar/Apr85, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p26
Discusses euthanasia. Humanistic methods of euthanasia; Policy changes; Controversy over euthanasia.
- Suicide assisted by two Swiss right-to-die organisations. Fischer, S; Huber, C A; Imhof, L; Mahrer Imhof, R; Furter, M; Ziegler, S J; Bosshard, G // Journal of Medical Ethics;Nov2008, Vol. 34 Issue 11, p810
Background: In Switzerland, non-medical right-to-die organisations such as Exit Deutsche Schweiz and Dignitas offer suicide assistance to members suffering from incurable diseases. Objectives: First, to determine whether differences exist between the members who received assistance in suicide...
- Ethics. Pellegrino, Edmund D. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;6/19/91, Vol. 265 Issue 23, p3118
Discusses ethical issues associated with euthanasia. Definition of euthanasia; Toleration of euthanasia in the Netherlands; Conditions in executing euthanasia.
- EUTHANASIA. Wolinsky, Anja // Humanist;Jan/Feb88, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p24
Presents the third place winning essay for a contest put on by 'The Humanist.' 'Euthanasia' by Anja Wolinsky.
- KINDLY KILLING MAY WIN LIKE KILLING. CLARKE, WARD // America;9/9/1939, Vol. 61 Issue 22, p512
The author comments on the morality of mercy killing in the U.S. In their strategy, he believes that mercy killers are preparing the next generation on the idea of mercy killing by talking about economics, love of the afflicted and the evil of suffering. He states that the reason behind this...
- A federal court stands with voters on assisted suicide. Wollenberg, Yvonne Chilik // Medical Economics;6/18/2004, Vol. 81 Issue 12, p14
Reports on a U.S. appeals court ruling which states that the U.S. government's attempt to derail Oregon's assisted suicide law is unlawful and unenforceable. Reference to Oregon's voter-approved Death with Dignity Act which authorizes physicians to prescribe lethal doses of controlled substances...