Work and Play
- Meeting the Challenges of Global Human Needs. Brannon, Patsy M.; Q., Rebecca; Morgan Dean, James C. // Human Ecology;Dec2002, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p1
Focuses on global human needs from a multidisciplinary perspective. Challenges faced by human that give rise to needs; Factors that collectively constitute global human needs; Strategies through which we can meet global needs.
- When Luxury is a Necessity. // America;4/3/1926, Vol. 34 Issue 25, p584
The author reflects on the difference between living within the necessities of life and living with the notion that luxury is a necessity. He uses New York as a specified place of example to describe the distinction between the two and affirms that despite being considered as one of the richest...
- Be Happy Anyway :-). van Gelder, Sarah; Pibel, Doug // Yes!;Winter2009, Issue 48, p18
The article focuses on the pursuit of happiness. It argues on the thought that a bigger car, a more trendy pursuit and a flat-screen television could bring total happiness to an individual. According to the author, wages stagnated while the costs of basic needs such as homes, medical care and...
- Toward an Understanding of "Breatharianism". Klimo, Jon // Journal of Spirituality & Paranormal Studies;Apr2008, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p63
Breatharianism is defined and discussed. Considered is whether humans can live on air alone, and if so,for how long.
- On the Essence of Human Needs in the System of Life Support. Golubova, Marina I. // Izvestia Uralskogo Gosudarstvennogo Ekonomiceskogo Universiteta;2012, Vol. 43 Issue 5, p22
The article considers the approaches to the definition of the concept Â«human needsÂ», specifies the main types of needs, and establishes hierarchy of needs in the system of life/support of a person.
- ...and a microwave in every kitchen. Dolliver, Mark // Adweek New England Edition;08/18/97, Vol. 34 Issue 33, p14
Presents Roper Starch Worldwide's survey revealing Americans' perception of household items and services as either necessities or luxuries. Preference of Americans for installing home security systems against subscribing to a cable television movie channel.
- Necessity or luxury? Depends on who you ask. // Chicago Citizen - Chatham Southeast Edition;9/1/2010, Vol. 45 Issue 23, p4
The article reports on the survey of Pew Research Center to Americans on home necessities and luxury wherein 50% of the respondents consider car, landline phone, clothes dryer, and air conditioner a necessity while younger people go for a home personal computer (PC) with high speed internet...
- SIMMEL, VEBLEN VE SOMBART'IN PENCERESï¿½NDEN HEDONï¿½K Tï¿½;KETï¿½M: ï¿½TOPYADA NEGOTIUM VE OTIUM. H�rmeri�, Pelin; Baban, Ece // Global Media Journal: Turkish Edition;Mar2012, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p87
Together with the modern capitalism, instead of satisfying needs, consumption became the need itself. Individuals who are transformed from being homo sapiens to homo consumens, are living in a hyperreality and headed towards pleasure and psychological satisfaction. In this hyperreality,...
- Is the connected home recession-proof? Karpinski, Rich // Telephony;12/1/2008, p10
The author reflects on the current connected home services in the U.S. With the headlines full of concerns about economic recession and the trade press looking for signs of telecommunication spending slowdown, the author raises the issue if the connected home services and communications devices...