WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- News Briefs. // America;3/28/2005, Vol. 192 Issue 11, p5
Presents updates on events and issues related to the Catholic Church as of March 28, 2005. Public opinion poll which reveal an increased opposition to legalized abortion in the U.S.; Reaction of a Catholic leader in Lebanon to the withdrawal by Syria of its troops in Lebanon; Health condition...
- They asked for it, they got it. Now what? Chittister, Joan // National Catholic Reporter;11/06/98, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the letter written by groups of lay Catholics, countries and the International We Are Church Movement, to Pope John Paul II. Description of the kind of pope that would lead the church in the 21st century; Information on the role of the laity.
- China's Catholicism with a twist twisting free? Henderson, Leslie // National Catholic Reporter;7/2/93, Vol. 29 Issue 33, p13
Focuses on the state of Catholicism in China. Imprisonments, torture and death suffered by some Chinese Catholics; Membership in the government-sanctioned Catholic church; Recognition that Pope John Paul II is the head of the church.
- A FEISTY BUT LOYAL FLOCK. Kelly, Katy; Kulman, Linda // U.S. News & World Report;4/18/2005, Vol. 138 Issue 14, p30
Discusses how the behavior of many Catholics have not changed despite the popularity of Pope John Paul II. Influence that the pope had on the clergy; Strong beliefs of the pope; Dissent within the church; Opinions of various Catholics; Strengths of the Catholic Church in the United States.
- FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSESâ€¦. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Jun/Jul2000, Issue 104, p81
Focuses on public reaction to the Catholic Church's public confession of the sins of her children over the centuries. Concerns raised by cardinals; Pope John Paul II's awareness of the risks involved; Sign of the Church's confidence in the forgiving and renewing grace of God in Christ;...
- The Papacy for an Ecumenical Age. Orsy, Ladislas // America;10/21/2000, Vol. 183 Issue 12, p9
Comments on the efforts of the Roman Catholic Church to find ways of exercising the papal ministry. Need for perpetual conversion; Challenges posed by Pope John Paul II's request for perpetual conversion; Association between a universal church and particular churches; Appointment of Bishops;...
- Pope approves efforts to join with mainland bishops. Donovan, Gill // National Catholic Reporter;2/8/2002, Vol. 38 Issue 14, p7
Reports on the approval of Pope John Paul II for efforts of Taiwanese bishops to reconcile with the divided mainland Chinese church. Benefits of the efforts for mutual understanding among the two churches; Pope's acceptance of the two state solution favored by Taiwan.
- If it's not infallible, is the pope not sure? Farrell, Michael J. // National Catholic Reporter;9/2/94, Vol. 30 Issue 38, p14
Focuses on miscellanea related to the Pope John Paul II and the Catholic Church. Includes comments on papal letter on ordination of women as priests; Infallibility of the pope; San Diego, California `News Notes' newspaper's articles on the pope.
- Austria's `sacred experiment' renews momentum for change. DALEY, DAN; DALEY, SHEILA // National Catholic Reporter;12/11/98, Vol. 35 Issue 7, p22
Presents information on the blessing made by Pope John Paul II on the 1998 Dialogue for Austria, an official gathering of the Austrian Catholic Church. Topics of the resolution passed by the Dialogue for Austria; Comments from Cardinal John Dearden, head of the 1976 Call to Action program.