Waco: A Massacre and Its Aftermath
- Politics force FBI to coddle Montana `fleamen'. Colwell, Jack // Indianapolis Business Journal;06/17/96, Vol. 17 Issue 13, p8B
Focuses on the US Federal Bureau of Investigation's handling of the `Fleamen' religious group in Montana. Charges against the group; Alleged crimes committed by the group; Need for a tougher stance toward the group.
- The Death Of A Family Tragedy in Salt Lake City. // Time;8/14/1978, Vol. 112 Issue 7, p16
The article focuses on the death of Bruce David Longo's family in Salt Lake City, Utah. Longo calls himself Immanuel David and became the leader of a religious cult. His family settled in a three-room suite at the International Dunes Hotel for 95-dollar-a-day, but the source of their money was a...
- cult. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p555
A definition of the medical term "cult," which refers to a group of people with an obsessive commitment to an ideal or principle, is presented.
- Nose To Nose Philadelphia confronts a cult. // Time;8/14/1978, Vol. 112 Issue 7, p16
The article reports on the strategy of the authorities in dealing with the cult called Move, an anti-technology group in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It states that a judge has issued an arrest order of the 21 members for public nuisance. The group resisted and in defiance, threatened to kill...
- Finding and Losing My Religion. Shaw, Daniel // International Journal of Cultic Studies;2014, Vol. 5, p52
The author provides a personal account of his own experience in a group he came to view as cultic. In addition to identifying the abusive characteristics of the group's leader, the author explores, in retrospect, the ways in which his participation hinged on his ability to dissociate his...
- Credibility is essential to any democracy. Williams // New York Amsterdam News;09/16/99, Vol. 90 Issue 38, p8
Focuses on the possible role of the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in the death of 80 members of the Branch Davidian cult in Waco, Texas. Burning of the cult's compound; Confirmation of FBI agents' launch of flammable tear gas canisters; Attempt to arrest cult leader David...
- RFA: Seven Christian Church Members Sentenced in China. // Chinascope;May/Jun2013, Issue 63, p39
The article reports that seven members of the Christian House Church in Henan Province, China who were accused as members of evil cult were sentenced with up to seven years in prison.
- My Heart Belongs To Dad. Kondracke, Morton // New Republic;12/8/78, Vol. 179 Issue 24, p9
Describes the American public's compulsive search for any kind of explanation, whether cosmic, social, political, or psychological, for the mass suicide of cultists at Jonestown, Guyana led by Reverend Jim Jones. Massacre as a product of a peculiar lunacy or a reflection on all Americans;...
- FATAL REVISION. Shalit, Ruth // New Republic;05/26/97, Vol. 216 Issue 21, p18
Discusses the lawsuit filed by physician Jeffrey MacDonald against the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation in 1997. Background of the massacre case against MacDonald in 1979; Flaws in the practices of the crime laboratory of the agency; Allegations against the manipulation of the forensic...