AN ETHIC OF THINKING
- The Challenge of the Catechism. Dulles, Avery // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Jan1995, Issue 49, p46
Discusses the catechism of the Catholic Church and the challenges it offered to the cultural relativism that threatens to erode the contents of Catholic faith. Opposition of Pope John Paul II and Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger to relativism among intellectuals; Coverage of catechism in the Catholic...
- A SENSE OF IDENTITY. // Our Sunday Visitor;3/18/2012, Vol. 100 Issue 47, p10
The article reports that the U.S. bishops' conference is evaluating the results of its 10-year review of the implementation of "Ex Corde Ecclesiae," a 1990 apostolic document which established Pope John Paul II's vision for Catholic higher education.
- JOHN PAUL THE GREAT. // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Feb1999, Issue 90, p71
Profiles Pope John Paul II on the 20th anniversary of his papacy. Role in the collapse of communism; Author's justifications in calling him John Paul the Great; Absence of conflict between faith and reason, according to the encyclical `Fides et Ratio'; Second Vatican Council.
- Pope John Paul II. Appleby, Scott // Foreign Policy;Summer2000, Issue 119, p12
Examines the role of Pope John Paul II in geopolitics and culture. Overview on the Pope as a central player in the defeat of communism; His stance on capitalism; Actions taken by the Pope in trying to squashed liberation theology; Significance of the Pope's Holy Land pilgrimage. INSET: The...
- Evangelising Culture in a Technological Age: Faith as Lived Culture. Novello, Henry // Australasian Catholic Record;Apr2014, Vol. 91 Issue 2, p214
The article discusses the evangelical concept of culture which has assumed importance in the Catholic Church since the Second Vatican Council in 1962-1965 and has become a topic for the World Council of Churches. It notes the result of debates of the ecumenical council recognising culture as...
- HEY BABY, WHAT'S YOUR MAJOR. // U.S. Catholic;Dec2003, Vol. 68 Issue 12, p5
Provides information on the post-graduate degree offered by a university in Poland on the life and influence of Pope John Paul II. Topics that will be covered by the program.
- Ratzinger elected dean of College of Cardinals. Donoan, Gill // National Catholic Reporter;12/20/2002, Vol. 39 Issue 8, p8
Reports on the confirmation by Pope John Paul II in Vatican City, that the election of Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, as the dean of the College of Cardinals on November 30, 2002. Stipulation doe by the Canon law.
- The Pope and the American Catholic University. Healy, Timothy S. // America;12/8/1979, Vol. 141 Issue 18, p362
The article provides information on the views of Pope John Paul II on the significant role of the Catholic universities on the society and the Catholic church in the U.S. The Pope spoke on institutional realities in Catholic higher education regarding the responsibilities of each student and...
- Back to the chalk board. // U.S. Catholic;Apr99, Vol. 64 Issue 4, p8
Reports on Pope John Paul II's `Ex corde ecclesia,' the apostolic constitution on Catholic colleges and universities. Details on the process of consultation for applying `Ex corde' to United States colleges; Concern raised by the proposed norms.