THE TWO ARTHURS ON HISTORY
- WHY THE NEW DEAL STILL NEEDS A HERO: ARTHUR H. SCHLESINGER, JR.'S ARGUMENTS FOR LIBERALLSM IN THE 1980'S. Depoe, Steve // Conference Proceedings -- National Communication Association/Ame;1983 Argument in Transition, p380
The article explicates the components of the historian, Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.'s political philosophy. The rhetorical problems confronting Schlesinger in the early 1980s is explained. The paradoxes in Schlesinger's political philosophy which becomes apparent in his defense of traditional...
- Recyclable Myths. Ferguson, Andrew // National Review;12/19/94, Vol. 46 Issue 24, p72
The article presents the author's views on the essay of Arthur Schlesinger regarding the cyclical theory of U.S. political history. The theory spells the loss to the Left of one its great conceptual consolations. Judging his essay, the metaphors are disastrous for his prose style and narrative...
- The Tide Is Turning: A New Political Cycle in the 1990s. Bartel, R.D. // Challenge (05775132);Nov/Dec91, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p9
Presents an interview with Arthur M. Schlesinger, Professor of Humanities of the City University of New York's Graduate School and University Center. US Competitiveness; Most recent book `The Disuniting of America'; Public Education; Supreme Court's conservative makeup; Details.
- What should we teach our children about American history? Smoler, F. // American Heritage;Feb/Mar92, Vol. 43 Issue 1, p45
Presents an interview with historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr. Contention that the fiercest struggle going on in education is about who owns the past. Militant multiculturists who say that traditional history teaching has brushed out minority ethnic identities.
- Schlesinger blames religion for `crimes' and `outrages.' Feder, Don // Human Events;1/19/96, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p14
Reports that historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr. and recipient of two Pulitzer Prizes is concerned about those who seek to fathom the intent of the Almighty. What else does he frets about; What can lead to fanaticism; What Western religion rests on; Schlesinger's beliefs; What faith can prompt.
- Arthur Schlesinger 1917-2007. // Time;12/31/2007, Vol. 170 Issue 27, p166
The article, part of a section of tributes to prominent people who died in 2007, remembers U.S. historian Arthur Schlesinger.
- The cult of ethnicity, good and bad. Schlesinger Jr., Arthur // Time;7/8/1991, Vol. 138 Issue 1, p21
Presents the views of historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr., who argues that America `escaped the divisiveness of a multiethnic society by the creation of a brand-new national identity. The point of America was not to preserve old cultures but to forge a new, American culture.' The cult of...
- Report on the republic. // Newsweek;10/27/1986, Vol. 108 Issue 18, p98
Author Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr, 69, is trim and fit, a professor of Humanities still teaching at City University of New York. The two-time Pulitzer Prize winner has also been active in liberal politics. He plans to write three or four more volumes on Franklin Roosevelt. Interview with him...
- Arthur Schlesinger, R.I.P. BUCKLEY JR., WILLIAM F. // National Review;4/2/2007, Vol. 59 Issue 5, p58
The article presents an obituary for political writer Arthur Schlesinger.