The Prince and the Pastor
- The Abuse of Power: A View of Sexual Misconduct in a Systemic Approach to Pastoral Care. Robinson, Linda Hansen // Pastoral Psychology;May2004, Vol. 52 Issue 5, p395
The article explores the dynamics of transference and countertransference in hierarchical relationships which exist between clergy and lay persons, both in the parish setting, as well as in the pastoral counseling relationship. It is of utmost importance that the power differential be...
- Care for the Caregiver: Clues for the Pastoral Care of Clergywomen. Frame, Marsha Wiggins; Shehan, Constance L. // Pastoral Psychology;May2004, Vol. 52 Issue 5, p369
In this article, we report the results of a qualitative study on the special challenges faced by clergywomen: the impact of gender, work demands, and personal and professional stressors, and the positive and negative coping strategies these clergywomen employed. We include a discussion of the...
- Pastoral Ministry and the Fleshly Body. Purnell, Douglas // Pastoral Psychology;Sep2004, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p81
This paper will explore the fleshly body of the pastor/priest/liturgist/caregiver and its engagement with the fleshly bodies of the ones given to their care. Its purpose is to address the physicality of being involved in pastoral ministry.
- THE PARADOX OF BEING A WOUNDED HEALER: HENRI J.M. NOUWEN'S CONTRIBUTION TO PASTORAL THEOLOGY. Nolte, S. Philip; Dreyer, Yolanda // Hervormde Teologiese Studies;2010, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p1
This article is the first in a series of two dealing with Henri Nouwen's contribution to pastoral care. The present article focuses on the impact of cognitive dissonance and the role it plays in pastors becoming constrained in their ministry. The point of departure is that during the past two...
- The Pastor's Ministry To People Facing Organ Transplantation. Cabaniss, Thomas Ervin // Theological Research Exchange Network (TREN): Theses & Dissertat;2001, p1
The purpose of the dissertation is to examine the ministry of the pastor to people facing organ transplantation. Organ transplantation is rising in practice and popularity as a medical solution to people facing chronic or life-threatening problems. The author interviewed and surveyed transplant...
- P(r)ay as they Go? Re-examining the Role of the Local Church in Cross-cultural Missionary Care. Ford, Deborah // Evangel;Spring2004, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p4
Assesses the implications of the local church for the pastoral care of cross-cultural missionaries. Relevance of missionary engagement to one's congregational life; Radical changes in mission; Role of the overseas church in pastoral care.
- Preparing For The Ministry. Bennett, Douglas R. // Theological Research Exchange Network (TREN): Theses & Dissertat;2001, p1
Presents a program to be used in preparing a man for the pastoral ministry. Personal aspects; Relational factors; Matters relating to the ministry in itself; Practical and theological corollaries.
- Shelter in the parsonage. Paulsell, Stephanie // Christian Century;9/4/2013, Vol. 130 Issue 18, p34
The article presents a fictional case study of managing congregational life in a Christian church community. The scenario given describes a pastor trying to counsel a married couple experiencing severe relationship problems and possibly physical abuse. A response is then given by the author,...
- Ministering to Suicide Survivors: From Basic Care to Supporting the Integration of Traumatic Grief. Tardif, Katherine // Human Development;Spring2005, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p41
Presents tips on how ministers can help in the healing process of suicide survivors. Types of suffering endured by suicide survivors; Basic pastoral care; Support of the integration of traumatic grief.