The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind
- 'Between the Refrigerator and the Wildfire': Aimee Semple McPherson, Pentecostalism, and the Fundamentalist-Modernist Controversy. Sutton, Matthew A. // Church History;Mar2003, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p159
Presents an article on the origin of evangelicalism in the early 20th-century. Components of North American Protestantism; Belief in evangelicalism; Factors that fundamentalists challenged during the progressive era; Comparison between Pentecostals and fundamentalists.
- The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind. Wuthnow, Robert // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Mar1995, Issue 51, p39
Addresses some issues concerning the scandal of the evangelical mind. Evidence of the existence of the evangelical mind; Failure of evangelicals to enhance the evangelical mind; Recommendations for enhancing the evangelical mind.
- Where Do Evangelicals Come From? Williams, Garry // Foundations (0144378X);Autumn2004, Issue 52, p5
Discusses the origin of the evangelical movement. Characteristics that define the evangelical movement; Link between evangelicalism and the Enlightenment; Discussion of the evangelical doctrine of assurance; Necessity of a Spirit-given revelation of God; Sufficiency of the Augustinian-Reformed...
- EVANGELICAL. // Religion Book;2004, p210
A definition of the term "evangelical" is presented. The term refers to the Gospel. It originates from the Greek word evaggelion which means good news. It notes that this method of religious practice was completely different from High Church emphasizing on liturgy and worship. He became a label...
- LIGHT WITHIN OR BEACON WITHOUT? AN EVALUATION OF THE IMPACT OF EVANGELICALISM ON QUAKERS 1820-1840. Mingins, Rosemary // Quaker Studies (Quaker Studies Research Association);Sep2003, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p51
This paper examines why the evangelical revival became such an important issue for the Society of Friends in the early nineteenth century. The focus is on the conflict that evangelicalism aroused between 1835 and 1840 with the Beacon controversy and the resultant challenge to the concept of the...
- Conservatives Are Winning the Religious Wars. Vuoto, Loredana // Human Events;8/15/2005, Vol. 61 Issue 27, p20
Reports on the desire of U.S. people for conservative churches in the U.S. Reason of the people for rejecting liberal Christianity; Decrease in the Church attendance among Protestantism; Percentage of an increase in the membership of the Evangelical Free Church.
- Judicial ruling halts protest of Inauguration Prayer. Moorer, Talise D. // New York Amsterdam News;1/20/2005, Vol. 96 Issue 4, p30
This article presents information related to forthcoming spiritual events published in the February 2005 issue of "New York Amsterdam News." The Leadership Council and Bethesda Mass Choir present Minister Keith J. Branch and Branch Ministries in concert. The event will feature the Evangelical...
- A NOTE ON JOHN GOUGH'S THE DORE OF HOLY SCRIPTURE. Dunnan, D. S. // Notes & Queries;Sep1989, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p309
The article highlights that John Gough's 1540 edition of the General Prologue to the Wycliffte Bible under the title the Dore of Holy Scripture provides an exception to the general rule of sixteenth-century fidelity which is worth noting. The conclusion of Gough's summary of the book of Job...
- Introduction: Defining Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism. MARSDEN, GEORGE M. // Understanding Fundamentalism & Evangelicalism;1991, p1
The article discusses the defining characteristics of both fundamentalism and evangelicalism and their development through U.S. history.