Patrick Glynn: Utopia and the City of God Reconsidered
- Finding Autonomy in International Environmental Law and Governance. French, Duncan // Journal of Environmental Law;2009, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p255
This article will consider the relevance of the notion of autonomy within a particular body of international law, namely international environmental law. Without the existence of an over-arching institutional framework on which the autonomy of the discipline might be otherwise premised, the...
- Chapter 5: Dystopian Turn. // Scraps on Untainted Sky: Science Fiction, Utopia, Dystopia;2000, p147
Chapter 5 of the second part of the book "Scraps of the Untainted Sky: Science Fiction, Utopia, Dystopia," by Tom Moylan is presented. It explores the move of the dystopias to settle their social issues with their eutopian and anti-utopian counterparts. It describes the narrative structure of...
- Ecotopian Exceptionatism. Proctor, James D. // Journal for the Study of Religion, Nature & Culture;Jun2011, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p145
Literature on the U.S. Pacific Northwest generally paints the region in exceptionalist stripes, certainly in the deep connection its people maintain with an abundant natural landscape. Is Ecotopia exceptional? We interrogate the empirical basis for this claim, applying results from a mixedmethod...
- Utopian Dubrovnik, 1659: An English Fantasy. Appelbaum, Robert // Utopian Studies;1996, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p66
Discusses the background of the concept of utopian socialism in the British government through a seven-page pamphlet published in 1659 by an unknown author with an initial J.S. Analysis of the political and social condition in Great Britain at the time the pamphlet was published; Overview of...
- Glenn Tinder: Christians and the Lure of Utopia. Tinder, Glenn // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Mar1995, Issue 51, p30
Focuses on Christianity and the lure of utopianism. Definition of radical utopianism; Influence of evolutionary utopianism on Christians; Reasons why the secular doctrine of progress is unacceptable to Christians.
- Utopianism from Orientation to Agency: What Are We Intellectuals Under Post-Fordism To Do? Suvin, Darko // Utopian Studies;1998, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p162
Focuses on utopianism. Discussion on dystopia; Views on Disney's utopia; Essential entries on the agenda of utopia.
- Editor's Introduction: Mapping the Thresholds of Utopia. Hatch, David A. // Interdisciplinary Humanities;Fall2010, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p3
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses utopias and dystopias.
- BY THE NUMBERS. Hope, Sarah // Syracuse New Times;9/17/2014, Issue 4478, p25
No abstract available.
- Interpreting Socialism and Capitalism in China: A Dialectic of Utopia and Dystopia. Boer, Roland; Zhixiong Li // Utopian Studies;2015, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p309
We argue that the dialectic of utopia and dystopia enables an alternative, albeit controversial, way for framing debate over the tensions between socialism and capitalism in China. In doing so, we acknowledge but differ from alternative explanations: Socialism in China has simply become an empty...