Generic Male, Endangered Gender?
- Navajo Women and Abuse: The Context for Their Troubled Relationships. Rivers, Mary J. // Journal of Family Violence;Apr2005, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p83
In this article, on the basis of interviews with seven Navajo women, the author discusses the Navajo womanâ€™s perspective on domestic violence. These discussions reveal several factors that distinguish the Navajo womanâ€™s experience of abuse from that of the Anglo3 woman. These...
- INITIATION (INITIATORY DEATH). Lewis, James R. // Death & Afterlife Book;2001, p196
Information about initiation is presented. Generally, it is a rite in which an initiate undergo religious or social status transformation. The initiatory rituals include the puberty rite, initiation into a specialized group, and the transformation of an individual into a shaman or medicine man....
- VISION QUESTS. Lewis, James R.; Oliver, Evelyn // Dream Encyclopedia;2009, p225
An encyclopedia entry for "vision quests" is presented. It refers to the active seeking of a vision or other sign from spiritual forces. It relates the association of vision quests with initiation rites and shamanism among the aboriginal cultures of the Americas. It outlines the tasks associated...
- The Woman's Lodge. Wright, Mary C. // Frontiers: A Journal of Women Studies;2003, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p1
This article investigates the women's lodge as a place and as space in understanding how gender was constructed for Pacific Northwest Plateau. Gender and all manner of status and societal roles have come to be seen as constructed. People help define the categories of human groupings by their...
- Throat patch size and darkness covaries with testosterone in females of a sex-role reversed species. Muck, Christina; Goymann, Wolfgang // Behavioral Ecology;Nov2011, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p1312
In male birds, size and blackness of melanin-based ornaments may signal competitive ability and quality. Testosterone is an important physiological mediator of these signals as these ornaments are testosterone dependent. Experimental manipulation of circulating testosterone in females suggests...
- MEN ARE NOT THE ENEMY. Friedman, Lauren F. // Psychology Today;Mar/Apr2013, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p20
The article reviews two books about male reputation namely "Swoon," by Betsy Prioleau and "Challenging Casanova," by Andrew P. Smiler. INSET: Heartless Rake â€“Or Irresistible Mensch?.
- She-Male Nation. Powers, William // National Journal;10/02/99, Vol. 31 Issue 40, p2830
Scrutinizes the gender-bending concepts in men's and women's magazines in the United States. Analysis on the contents of `Gear' magazine and the `Maxim' magazine; Description of women's Web sites; Discussion on the issue of feminism and the male dilemma.
- Former Ã l'intervention auprÃ¨s des garÃ§ons et des hommes ou opÃ©rer un changement de paradigme qui comporte des enjeux importants. Tremblay, Gilles; L'Heureux, Pierre // Canadian Social Work;Autumn2009, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p1
An abstract of the article regarding the traditional gender role beliefs of men by Gilles Tremblay and Pierre L'Heureux is presented.
- Even more terrifying than state-sponsored feminism is state-sponsored masculinity. Byfield, Link // Report / Newsmagazine (Alberta Edition);11/22/99, Vol. 26 Issue 42, p4
Presents the author's views on the subject of gender roles and a possible 'course in manhood' for Scottish boys, proposed by the United Kingdom Men's Movement. Description of the course and its expected benefits; The author's view that modern society tries to eliminate all differences between...