RETURNING TO EARTH
- Night Crawlers. Wilder, Kathryn // River Teeth;Spring2013, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p77
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience as a single mother on building the confidence and independence of her nine-year-old son on catching fish.
- FATHER-ABSENCE, SOCIAL EQUALITY, AND SOCIAL PROGRESS. Alvaré, Helen M. // Quinnipiac Law Review;2011, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p123
The article presents a study on children of single mothers which reports a 25.8 percent of American children under 18 year old are living in lone-parent households. It highlights several legal issues on fatherhood including the legal justification and constraints, the empirical evidence, and...
- `Happy Families?': Single Mothers, the Press and the Politicians. Atkinson, Karen; Oerton, Sarah; Burns, Diane // Capital & Class;Spring98, Vol. 20 Issue 64, p1
This article focuses on the state of single mothers. 1993 was the year in which the pathologising of single mothers reached its peak, strategically exploited to initially usher in the freezing of one-parent benefit by the Tories. It also paved the way for a proposal to scrap lone parent premium...
- Rebuilding the Family Unit: The Importance of Having the African American Father/Child Relationship. Johnson-Ellington, Deidria L.; Petty, Karen L. // TAFCS Research Journal;2009, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p27
The article focuses on the increasing number of single African American women raising their children and the importance in building a family structure and involving fathers. Topics mentioned include the gendered type differences between boys raised with a father and boys raised without the...
- HELP! MY MOM IS DATING A DORK! Demko, Lois Ann // Cosmo Girl;Mar2006, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p172
The article presents tips on how teenagers could handle the men their mothers are dating after the divorce. As long as the man is treating your mother well, try to let little things slide. But if you seriously feel his actions are crossing the line, then talk to her about it. Keep in mind that...
- it takes two. // Lifetime;May2004, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p98
Presents an article about the life of a single mother. Challenges faced in raising a child alone; Views on parenting; Experiences with the child that the mother treasured.
- SUNSHINE AND YOUNG MOTHERS. Fern, Fanny // Ruth Hall & Other Writings;1986, p231
The article presents a reprint of the article "Sunshine and Young Mothers," by Fanny Fern which appeared in the July 3, 1852 issue of "Olive Branch" newspaper. It focuses on the life of every young women who preferred to have a baby rather than getting married. It relates the idea every woman is...
- The house of hormones. Maushart, Susan // Health (Time Inc. Health);Dec2005, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p146
The article discusses the challenges that the author is experiencing in parenting three teenagers. She is a 47-year old single mother of three children whose ages ranged from 10 to 14. She said her children's ages and stages of life are bothering her. Due to perimenopausal symptomatology, she...
- Scott's Sore Spot. Capurro, Scott // Gay Times (09506101);Sep2007, Issue 348, p28
The article discusses the author's experience of being raised by a mother who never had a high school degree.