The Inescapability of Metaphysics
- SEIN LANGUAGE. Priest, Graham // Monist;Oct2014, Vol. 97 Issue 4, p430
The article presents a contemporary examination of the philosophical notion of "being" using logic, linguistics, and metaphysics. Topics discussed include an analysis of the finite and nonfinite parts of the verb "to be," the use of the word "exists" in a mathematical context, and the ambiguous...
- Ontology, Ontologies, and Science. Merrill, Gary H. // Topoi;Apr2011, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p71
Philosophers frequently struggle with the relation of metaphysics to the everyday world, with its practical value, and with its relation to empirical science. This paper distinguishes several different models of the relation between philosophical ontology and applied (scientific) ontology that...
- ONTOLOGICAL ANNEXE. Ormell, Christopher // Prospero;mar2011, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p49
The article discusses the theory of anthropic ontology. It explains that the subject is a way of regarding what ultimately exists in the universe which is consistent with the existence of human beings. It notes that people will find it difficult to discover how human beings fit into the picture...
- A SUGGESTION ABOUT POPPER'S THREE WORLDS IN THE LIGHT OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE. Sloman, Aaron // ETC: A Review of General Semantics;Fall1985, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p310
Discusses the significance of work in artificial intelligence to the philosophy of mind of Karl Popper. Analysis of the metaphysical theories of Popper; Definition of artificial intelligence; Limitations in the capability of artificial intelligence programs.
- Dumb Interfaces. Grannell, Craig // Micro Mart;2014 Supplement, Issue 1342, p109
The article reports on the dangers of full artificial intelligence for the human race.
- GRIM TALE. // Telegraph (Calcutta, India);12/8/2014, p8
The article explains how the world needs to be careful about the evolution of artificial intelligence as it can pose threat to human beings.
- Ä°HVÃ‚N-I SAFÃ‚ FELSEFESÄ°NÄ°N Ä°BNÃœ'L-ARABÃŽ DÃœÅžÃœNCESÄ°NDEKÄ° Ä°ZDÃœÅžÃœMLERÄ°. Çetinkaya, Bayram Ali // Sufi Journal of Scientific & Academic Research;Jun2009, Vol. 23, p131
Ihwan al-Safa, being an important source and school during the period of the formation the literature of Sufism, has made significant effects on many sufis and the thought of Sufism. Some of these effects also appear in the thought of Ibn Arabi. Ibn Arabi, who was a turning point in the...
- AN APPROACH TO GENERATING ARGUMENTS OVER DL-LITE ONTOLOGIES. Xiaowang ZHANG; Zuoquan LIN // Computing & Informatics;2013, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p924
Argumentation frameworks for ontology reasoning and management have received extensive interests in the field of artificial intelligence in recent years. As one of the most popular argumentation frameworks, Besnard and Hunter's framework is built on arguments in the form of (Î¦,Ï†) where...
- Building Ontology for Adaptive Collaboration in a Dynamic Environment. Adigun, Adepeju A.; Kolawole, Michael O. // International Journal of Computer Science Issues (IJCSI);Jul2012, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p222
Building new knowledge-based systems usually involves constructing or modelling new knowledge bases systems. Current knowledge modelling methodologies tend to focus on the subsystem, viewing domain knowledge as strongly dependent on the particular task at hand. Recently, however, the potential...