AIDS: Deadly Confusions Compounded
- Magic Johnson and AIDS. Afergan, Michael // 21st Century;Nov92, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p18
The author reflects on the retirement of basketball player, Ervin "Magic" Johnson in the U.S. He states that he was surprised when Johnson retired from professional basketball since it was alleged that he was found to be HIV positive. The author mentions that people with AIDS should be treated...
- NATIONAL. // Advocate;1/28/92, Issue 595, p22
Presents updates on AIDS research and on Earvin Magic Johnson's work with the U.S. National Commission on AIDS as of January 28, 1992. Absence of the HIV virus in the sweat of HIV-positive persons; Johnson's call for increased funding for federal AIDS programs.
- VOX POPULI. // Advocate;12/31/91, Issue 593, p98
Examines the effect of Magic Johnson's HIV disclosure on gay men of color. Impact of the announcement on gay and bisexual men in the African American community; Reduction in the National Task Force on AIDS Prevention funding; Efforts of the National Association of Black and White Men Together...
- The Importance Of Being Earvin. Brigham, Roger // Advocate;4/21/92, Issue 601, p34
Interviews HIV-positive basketball player Magic Johnson, on various issues pertaining to sexuality and AIDS. Bonding with the gay community; Denial of any homosexual experience; Reaction to criticisms by right-wing fundamentalists and politicians.
- THE MAGIC BULLET. J.M. // Sports Illustrated;8/20/2001, Vol. 95 Issue 7, p78
Presents questions and answers regarding the health status of former basketball player Earvin 'Magic' Johnson, who retired after testing HIV-positive. How he remains HIV-positive, but that the virus is not manifesting itself; Status of his family's health; Medications Johnson takes daily;...
- 10 Questions. // Time;
This article presents questions and answers from readers to former National Basketball Association (NBA) player Magic Johnson, including how Johnson copes with having HIV, what his plans are for the future, and what he believes to be his greatest achievement.
- THE MAGIC MOMENT. Richmond, Peter // GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly;Nov2006, Vol. 78 Issue 11, p197
The article presents a recollection by former Lakers players, coaches and management of their reaction to the announcement of Magic Johnson in November 7, 1991 that he was infected with the HIV virus. Teammate A.C. Green thought that Johnson was joking. Lon Rosen, Johnson's agent, suspected that...
- Changing of the Guards. West, Jerry // Newsweek;10/25/1999, Vol. 134 Issue 17, p68
Offers Los Angeles Lakers' general manager Jerry West's recollections of player Magic Johnson, and press attention to a presumed rivalry with Larry Bird.
- Do You Believe in Magic? // Newsweek;5/23/2011, Vol. 157 Issue 21/22, p64
The article presents a timeline of notable events in the life of businessman and former professional basketball player Earvin (Magic) Johnson Jr.