GIVING PROPHECY A REST
- Religion and (Inter-)National Politics: On the Heuristics of Identities, Structures, and Agents. Kratochwil, Friedrich // Alternatives: Global, Local, Political;Apr-Jun2005, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p113
Starting from the puzzling effects of religion on conflict, both its escalation and deescalation, this article investigates the role of religion in maintaining boundaries (sacred/profane, clean/unclean, good/evil, etc.) that become constitutive of â€˜self andâ€™ â€˜society.â€™...
- Conversations led to Common Ground. Jones, Arthur // National Catholic Reporter;10/25/96, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p9
Reports on the controversy over the Catholic Common Ground Project which is aimed at holding public meetings at which Catholics might find constructive dialog. Cardinals Bernard Law and James Hickey's criticism of the group; Statement from program member Margaret O'Brien Steinfels.
- COMMUNICATIONS. L. W. K.; Van Couenhoven, H. W. B.; Clancy, John D.; Scott, E. J. // America;1/19/1924, Vol. 30 Issue 14, p328
Several letters to the editor are presented including an opinion to the new translation of the Bible, on the use of proper Church music, and Protestants view on world war.
- Faith and Empire: Conflicting Visions of Religion in a Late Reformation controversyâ€”The Augsburg Interim and Its Opponets, 1548-50. Rein, Nathan Baruch // Journal of the American Academy of Religion;Mar2003, Vol. 71 Issue 1, p45
The battle of MÃ¼hlberg (23 April 1547) began a brief period of dominance of German affairs by Emperor Charles V. In the wake of his victory, Charles, a zealous Catholic, attempted to undo the effects of the Reformation and bring the church under his control by engineering the Augsburg...
- Doctrinal jousting. Allen Jr., John L. // National Catholic Reporter;2/25/2005, Vol. 41 Issue 17, p5
Focuses on the controversy generated by the book "Jesus Symbol of God," by Roger Haight. Exploration of the Catholic doctrine regarding the identity of Jesus Christ; Notification received by Haight from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the Vatican's chief doctrinal authority,...
- Question Corner: Is there a 'range' of teachings we are required to believe? DIETZEN, JOHN // Catholic East Texas;11/7/2008, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p4
The article provides an answer to a question on what range of Catholic Church teachings to be accepted by every Catholics in the same way.
- THE WORD. McCorry, Vincent P. // America;11/21/1953, Vol. 90 Issue 8, p214
The article offers analysis of the Sunday Gospel featuring the liturgical year of the Holy Mother Church. The final Sunday Gospel discusses the various complain about the obscurity of scriptural prophecy. It illustrates that the prophecy were ominous and, neither significant nor desirable to...
- Note and Comment. // America;7/19/1924, Vol. 31 Issue 14, p339
The article presents a commentary on various issues on Catholicism including the will to vote as a religious duty, the Catholic Church and the war, and Christian movements. The author renders his perspectives on the sociological and political impact of such issues and comments on the role of...
- Advances in Religious Liberty in Peru. García-Montüfar, Guillermo; Solís, Moisés Arata; Isaacson, Scott E. // Brigham Young University Law Review;2004, Vol. 2004 Issue 2, p385
Discusses the process of achieving protection and institutionalization of religious liberty and its significance to the evolution of the three generations of human rights in Peru. Role of Roman Catholicism in societal, cultural and political development in Peru; Association between the concept...