PRESBYTERIANS: WHERE HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE GONE?
- The default interim. John // Presbyterian Outlook;3/2/2015, Vol. 197 Issue 5, p5
The article presents the author's insights on the development of the interim ministry in helpful ways to many congregations. Topics discussed include the rule of hiring an interim in many presbyteries interim ministry, the movement of many denominations away from the extended interim periods...
- PCUSA reports steepest member loss in 25 years. // Christian Century;7/28/2009, Vol. 126 Issue 15, p17
The article reports that in 2008 the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) suffered its greatest single-year drop in membership since the denomination's creation by merger in 1983. Approximately 70,000 people chose to end their membership. Total membership is 2,140,165 in 10,751 congregations according...
- Cause for Celebration! Sobers, Nathan // Network News;Feb2014, p14
The article offers the author's insights on openly gay African American Bertram Johnson who was ordained in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) as a Teaching Elder, on January 25, 2014. The author states that they welcome Bertram with a service to the ministry that pondered who they are as God's...
- Toward a more perfect assembly: Biennial committee proposes changes. SCANLON, LESLIE // Presbyterian Outlook;5/12/2014, Vol. 196 Issue 10, p21
The article focuses on the proposed changes recommended to the 2014 General Assembly (GA) of the Presbyterian Church (PC) (USA), by the Committee to Review Biennial Assemblies of the PC USA. Topics include the intent of the proposed changes, proposed changes, and impact of the work of the...
- SO FAR, SO GOOD: A BRIEF ASSESSMENT OF MORMON MEMBERSHIP PROJECTIONS. Stark, Rodney // Review of Religious Research;Dec96, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p175
The first 15 years of projected rates of Mormon growth, 1980-2080, are compared with the actual growth of the church. As of 1995, Mormon growth exceeds my highest projection by almost a million members.
- Mainline Watch. // Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity;Oct2007, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p43
This section offers news briefs related to the Christian churches in the U.S. as of October 2007. The United Methodist Church and the Presbyterian Church U.S.A both reported continuing loss of members. The Evangelical Lutheran Church America also reported that its membership had dropped while...
- COMING EVENTS. // Presbyterians Today;Apr2014, Vol. 104 Issue 3, p37
The article offers information on the 221st General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (PC) (USA) in Detroit, Michigan from June 14-21, 2014 and the National Multicultural Conference in Fort Worth, Texas from July 30 to August 3, 2014.
- Members down 3 percent in PCUSA, adult baptisms up. // Christian Century;8/10/2010, Vol. 127 Issue 16, p15
The article presents statistics concerning the membership of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) for 2009, noting a 3 percent decline in membership but also an increase in adult baptisms.
- Seminaries and the Arts of Public Engagement. Hoehn, Richard A. // Trinity Seminary Review;Summer/Fall2005, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p89
Discusses the decrease in civic participation among citizens in the U.S. Reason for the low participation; Influence of politics in the lack of religious involvement; Contention on the role of seminaries in reinforcing the individualism of American culture.