Messianic Jews: A Troubling Presence
- SYMPOSIUM ON MESSIANIC JUDAISM. Garber, Zev // Hebrew Studies;2016, Vol. 57, p353
The article offers information on the 2014 Annual Meeting of National Association of Professors of Hebrew, held on November 22-25, 2014 in San Diego, California. Topics discussed include intellectual and theological coming of age of Messianic Judaism, alternate views on the legitimacy and...
- Jews and Jesus. Ravitch, Norman; Resnik, Russell // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;May2005, Issue 153, p9
Presents a several letters to the editor referencing articles and topics discussed in previous issues. Views on relationship between Judaism and Christianity; Focuses on spread of Christianity; Comments on Messianic Christianity.
- Does the New Testament support Messianic Judaism? du Toit, Philip // Conspectus (South African Theological Seminary);Oct2016, Vol. 22, p81
This article considers whether the New Testament supports Messianic Judaism. As a form of Judaism, Messianic Judaism is found to be anachronistic to ancient Israel of the Old Testament and the Judaeans of the second temple, making it problematic to use the New Testament in support of Messianic...
- MESSIANIC JEWS AND THE EARLY JEWISH FOLLOWERS OF JESUS. Oliver, Isaac W. // Hebrew Studies;2016, Vol. 57, p367
The article critically assesses the historical and exegetical treatment of the New Testament in the second half of Introduction to Messianic Judaism, pointing out some of its significant contributions to the ongoing reassessment of the Jewish texture of nascent Christianity.
- Israel's Best Friends or Jews' Mortal Enemies? POSNER, SARAH // Moment Magazine;Jul/Aug2013, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p18
The author discusses the Messianic Judaism which represents a mortal threat to some Jews. She mentions that Jews anxious for support from evangelical Christian allies neglect that major pro-Israel evangelical organizations are bound to Messianic Jews. She notes that Messianic Judaism may...
- PERPETUAL DILEMMA. Garber, Zev // Hebrew Studies;2016, Vol. 57, p393
My reasons for engaging in a scholarly discussion of the beliefs and practices of Messianic Judaism are straightforward and transforming: to learn what they teach before responding with approval and/or disapproval, recognize differences in religious sancta, and express acceptance or...
- THEOLOGICAL AND LITURGICAL COMING OF AGE: NEW DEVELOPMENTS IN THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN MESSIANIC JUDAISM AND EVANGELICAL CHRISTIANITY. Ariel, Yaakov // Hebrew Studies;2016, Vol. 57, p381
The essay highlights the meaning of recent trends in Messianic Judaism, especially as far as its position vis-Ã -vis evangelical Christianity is concerned, by offering a historical perspective and pointing to elements of continuity as well as departure from older paradigms.
- Jacob vs. Jacob. Pardo-Kaplan, Deborah // Christianity Today;Feb2005, Vol. 49 Issue 2, p76
Highlights the disagreements among Jewish believers in Jesus Christ in the U.S. over evangelical works. Information on the Jews for Jesus movement in New York City; Reaction of Jewish communities to the works of Jewish Christians; Comments from leaders of the Jewish Christians over the issues...
- CHAPTER III. THE CONNEXION OF CHRISTIANITY WITH THE JEWISH HISTORY. Paley, William // Evidence of Christianity;3/1/2006, p170
Chapter 3 of the book "Evidence of Christianity," Part III, by William Paley is presented. It focuses on the connection of Christianity with the history of the Jewish in the Scriptures. It discusses the prophetic character of many ancient writers which made the disciples of Jesus Christ bound to...