Crime & the Cure of the Soul
- Cultural Index is a Good Idea; Bennett Try for President Isn't. Blackburn, Thomas E. // National Catholic Reporter;4/8/94, Vol. 30 Issue 23, p16
Features former drug czar and United States Education Secretary William J. Bennett and his book called `Index of Leading Cultural Indicators.' Collection of charts and graphs on the performance of the United States socially; Baseline year of Bennett's index.
- Head to Toe Exam: U.S.A. 1999. Buckley Jr., William F. // National Review;12/20/1999, Vol. 51 Issue 24, p71
The article highlights some of the social statistics mentioned in the book "The Index of Leading Cultural Indicators: American Society at the End of the Twentieth Century," by William J. Bennett, released in the U.S. market in 1999. The book contains some data about U.S. society and the economy...
- The Index of Leading Cultural Indicators. // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;May1994, Issue 43, p61
Reviews the book "The Index of Leading Cultural Indicators," by William J. Bennett.
- The Index of Leading Cultural Indicators: Facts & Figures on the State of American Society. Coleman Jr., William E. // ETC: A Review of General Semantics;Fall94, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p358
Reviews the book `The Index of Leading Cultural Indicators: Facts and Figures on the State of American Society,' by William J. Bennett.
- The State of the Union: 2000. Buckley Jr., William F. // Cortlandt Forum;01/25/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p193
Presents information about the social conditions in the United States taken from the report `Index of Leading Cultural Indicators: American Society at the End of the 20th Century,' by William J. Bennett. Positive results include reductions in welfare, violent crime, abortion and divorce; Number...
- Undiscussable. Steyn, Mark // National Review;10/24/2005, Vol. 57 Issue 19, p72
Reflects on comments made by William Bennett on the radio to the effect that crime would be decreased if all black babies were aborted. Importance of the sentence that followed, where Bennet said that such an act would be "impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible"; Fact that the bulk of...
- Gambling story gives media cover for attacks on Bennett. O'Reilly, Bill // Fort Worth Business Press;5/30/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 22, p60
Comments on the criticism on author Bill Bennett's predilection for legal gambling. Critics of Bennett; Lessons from Bennett's experience; Issues on ethics being raised by his critics.
- Rank Hypocrisy (Charges). Goldberg, Jonah // National Review;6/2/2003, Vol. 55 Issue 10, p30
The article discusses the charges against former U.S. Secretary of Education William Bennett of indulging into gambling. Bennett's teachings on moral responsibility are discredited as a result of this exposure. The liberals have charged him of taking double standards in life. Liberals claim they...
- Bennett teaches that integrity can overcome challenges. Gooch, Heather // Pest Control;Apr98, Vol. 66 Issue 4, p38
Reports on former Secretary of Education William Bennett's speech on morality given at the 1998 National Pest Control Association's Legislative Day meeting. Bennett's thoughts about how to set example in a period where there is a moral decline in schools and popular culture; Bennett's major...