THE HIGHER DISMISSIVENESS
- F/ACTUAL KNOWING. Rolston III, Holmes // Ethics & the Environment;Autumn2005, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p137
This article talks about putting facts and values in place and in order. But one can not deny the fact that humans have powers of dis-placement too. Knowing and appropriately respecting vital life processes will be required in greening one's belief. Richard Rorty urged philosophers to elide the...
- Last Words from Richard Rorty. Postel, Danny // Progressive;Aug2007, Vol. 71 Issue 8, p15
An excerpt from an interview of philosopher Richard Rorty is presented.
- On Power: A Discussion of Richard Rorty and Michael Foucault. Swartz, Omar // World Communication;Winter96, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p13
Describes Richard Rorty's concept of power. Relation of Rorty with Michael Foucault; Implication of power on larger theoretical position; Interpretation of power as extending solidarity and community to the disenfranchised.
- Assessing Richard Rorty's Ironist Individual Within the Context of the Ecological Crisis. Bowers, C. A. // Trumpeter: Journal of Ecosophy;Spring2003, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p6
The article discusses the understanding about the ironist individual within the context of ecological crisis of the American philosopher, Richard Rorty. It highlights Rorty's book titled "Contingency, Irony and Solidarity" which serves as an important example of the double bind of ecological...
- Mummy, Mummy. . . // Teaching History;Jun2002, Issue 107, p57
Profiles philosopher Richard Rorty in the U.S. Characterization of human kind; Usefulness of philosophy in education; Doubts on the capacity of philosophy on assisting educators.
- How Richard Rorty Found Religion. Boffetti, Jason // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;May2004, Issue 143, p24
Discusses the religious views of Richard Rorty, an academician, book author and philosopher in the U.S. Hope that 'romantic polytheism' will come to serve as America's new religious center; Historical background on the development of Rorty's views on religion; Description of how Rorty found...
- The Impossibility of Philosophical Dialogue. Roochnik, David L. // Philosophy & Rhetoric;Summer1986, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p147
This article discusses the contribution of Richard Rorty to philosophical dialogue. Ultimately Rorty would side, not with Derrida, but with the pragmatists who, while sharing many of the post-Nietzschean rejections of traditional Philosophy rejected neither the Enlightenment's choice of the...
- Postmodern Pragmatism and Skeptical Hermeneutics: Richard Rorty and Odo Marquard. Allen, Barry // Contemporary Pragmatism;Jun2013, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p91
Richard Rorty transforms classical American philosophy in a way that responds to contemporary currents in European thought. German hermeneutical philosopher Odo Marquard is not a well-known name in English-speaking philosophy, though Rorty knew him and his work. I develop some of their agreement...
- On Rorty's Evangelical Metaphilosophy. Rondel, David // Philosophy & Rhetoric;2011, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p150
The article discusses and explores the aspects and purpose of the evangelical metaphilosophy of American philospher, Richard Rorty. The author reflects on the influence of rhetoric and argumentation in Rorty's concept of evangelical metaphilosophy. He also looks into the aspects in Rorty's...