The Disputed Legacy of Reinhold Niebuhr
- The Last Liberal. Nuechterlein, James // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Aug/Sep2001, Issue 115, p33
Profiles American historian Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. and his defense of liberalism in the United States. Personal and family background; Educational attainment; Interest in the combination of liberal political activism and conservative Christian theology; Military career; Fame achieved through...
- Of Many Things. T. H. S.; D. R. C. // America;11/20/1971, Vol. 125 Issue 16, preceding p413
The article pays tribute Reinhold Niebuhr, former professor at Union Theological Seminary. Arthur Schlesinger Jr. said Niebuhr possessed a strong religious belief and powerful influence on nonbelievers. Niebuhr exercised liberalism but his understanding of human frailty made him realize the...
- A Historian's Own History. Oshinsky, David M. // New Leader;Nov/Dec2000, Vol. 83 Issue 5, p15
Profiles United States national historian Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. Personal and professional background of the historian; Views on the concept of his books; Information on some of his books.
- Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jrs ``Innocent beginnings''. Kramer, Hilton // New Criterion;Mar2001, Vol. 19 Issue 7, p57
Comments on the political and literally views held by American intellectual and writer Arthur M. Schlesinger. Schlesinger's works as a professional historian to advance a political interest; Schlesinger's treatment of Republicans in his memoirs; Schlesinger's command of narrative history and...
- The 1968 Election. Schlesinger Jr., Arthur // Vital Speeches of the Day;12/15/68, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p148
Presents the text of a speech given by historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr. on November 14, 1968, which deals with the U.S. election.
- Correspondence. Flint, R. W.; Spiegel, D. K. // New Republic;11/17/58, Vol. 139 Issue 20, p3
Presents several letters to the editor. Reference to the article about U.S. historian Arthur Schlesinger and English novelist Anthony Powell; Appreciation of the television program "TV and Fear of Controversy."
- The Viet Nam Situation. // Time;1/7/1966, Vol. 87 Issue 1, p8
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues including "On Not Losing One's Cool About the Young," "Letters From the Martin O'Briens" in the December 24, 1965 issue and "Teacher-Historian Schlesinger" in the December 17, 1965 issue.
- Historian Laureate. Selle, Robert R. // World & I;Dec2000, Vol. 15 Issue 12, p42
Profiles historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr. His views on how to end race problems in the United States; Awards received; Education and professional background; Family background.
- Reflections on the National History Center and the Purpose of History. Schlesinger Jr., Arthur // Perspectives on History;Apr2007, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p16
The article presents a reprint of the essay "Reflections on the National History Center and the Purpose of History," by Arthur Schlesinger Jr., which appeared in the January 1, 2007 issue of "New York Times" under the title "Folly's Antidote." Schlesinger believed that there is a growing...