The Illusion of Moral Neutrality
- Political Tolerance and God's Wrath in the United States. Froese, Paul; Bader, Christopher // Sociology of Religion;Spring2008, Vol. 69 Issue 1, p29
Ever since Stouffer (1955) began to measure political tolerance a half century ago, multiple studies have shown that church attendance and denominational affiliation play a significant role in influencing whether individuals want to extend civil liberties to fringe groups. However, there is...
- Orthodoxy. Byfield, Ted; Byfield, Virginia // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;6/10/96, Vol. 23 Issue 26, p36
Comments on the issue of religious tolerance. Selectivity of this religious tolerance; State's preference for religious tolerance because of its preference for religious ineffectuality.
- Tolerance and community: A medieval communal functionalist argument for religious toleration. Nederman, Cary J. // Journal of Politics;Nov94, Vol. 56 Issue 4, p901
Presents 14th century author Marsiglio of Padua's defense of religious toleration as proof that religious tolerance is not solely a hallmark of liberal political theory. Theory of `communal functionalism' during the Latin Middle Ages; Religious difference and civic intercourse and inclusion.
- You're so narrow-minded! Hostetler, Bob // Campus Life;Sep98, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p66
Discusses the true essence of religious tolerance. Definition of tolerance; Problems with today's definition of tolerance; Advice to Christians when talking with their non-Christian friends about faith. INSET: Here's how you can practice true tolerance.
- Religious liberties and religious tolerance: An agenda for... Young, Michael K. // Brigham Young University Law Review;1996, Vol. 1996 Issue 4, p973
Presents information on religious tolerance in Asia. Comparison of religious tolerance in Asia, to the United States; Development of a doctrinal basis for religious tolerance, and liberties; Collaboration between religious-liberties advocates, and international human-rights advocates.
- Some spiritual sources of tolerance. Ricoeur, Paul // Diogenes;1996, Vol. 44 Issue 176, p113
Examines the various aspects of tolerance as it relates to religion. Part played by religion; Dangers of temptation; Sources of temptation.
- On Islamic tolerance. Bouhdiba, Abdelwahab // Diogenes;1996, Vol. 44 Issue 176, p121
Opinion. Discusses the various aspects of tolerance from a religious perspective, focusing on Islamic tolerance. Author's views of the need of tolerance; Distortion in interpersonal and international relationships; Problems relating to tolerance; Arabic definition of tolerance; How it relates...
- To an expanding world of mind-closure. Soyinka, Wole // Diogenes;1996, Vol. 44 Issue 176, p157
Opinion. Discusses the various aspects of religious tolerance. Why the author felt obliged to alert the world to the aggression of religious tolerance; Attention of the fact that religions exist; Information on `fundamentalism.'
- Using blacks for "saving America from the bondage of gay marriage". Monroe, Irene // Bay Windows;4/14/2011, Vol. 29 Issue 18, p6
In this article, the author offers her opinion on the role played by religion-based bigotry in the U.S. in shaping prejudicial attitudes among white Americans toward African Americans in the country.