THE HIGHER RACISM
- CORNEL WEST BUSTS A RHYME. Konigsberg, Eric // New Yorker;8/20/2001-8/27/2001, Vol. 77 Issue 24, p54
Highlights the music career of Cornel West, a rap artist in Boston, Ma Massachusetts. Release of West's hip-hop album 'Sketches of My Culture'; Views on the lyrics and melody of the songs included in the album; Appreciation of West on his brother and album producer Clifton West.
- Summers Changes His Tune on Hip-Hop Professor. Elvin, John // Insight on the News;2/4/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p34
Discusses controversies involving Harvard University professor Cornel West. Criticism by conservative columnist Rod Dreher against West's rap compact disc (CD) titled 'Sketches of My Culture'; Reaction of Harvard University president Lawrence Summers to the CD; Excerpts from reviews of the CD...
- Rap Name Game: Dolla Dolla Bill$, Y'all! RAHMAN, RAY // Entertainment Weekly;5/10/2013, Issue 1258, p65
The author offers opinions on rap musicians who have introduced dollar signs into their stage names including Trinidad Jame$, A$asp Ferg and Travi$ Scott.
- Bring the Noise. Anderson, Kyle; Cannon, Bob; Dombal, Ryan; Drumming, Neil; Endelman, Michael; Fiore, Raymond; Greenblatt, Leah; Miller, Nancy; Pastorek, Whitney; Romero, Michele; Sinclair, Tom; White, Eric // Entertainment Weekly;11/19/2004, Issue 793, p40
Presents an overview of the history of rap music, including details of the murder of rapper Biggie Smalls and Tupac Shakur.
- B.T.K Weaving Tapestry Rap. Kelly, Jim // Canadian Musician;Jan/Feb99, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p40
Focuses on the Toronto hip-hop group B.T.K. in Ontario. Integration of different music elements into music; Commitment to create freewheeling fun in contemporary hip-hop scene; Aversion to popular music styles.
- WNWK's special K & teddy Ted get props; Scheer brings a new message at Delphic. Nelson, Havelock // Billboard;11/6/93, Vol. 105 Issue 45, p37
Reports on developments concerning rap music. Disc jockeys at WNWK New York's celebration party at the Country Club in New York; Criticism on artist Father's single `69'; Business ventures of Amanda Scheer of the Manhattan, New York rap club Carwash; More.
- Live from death row on rapping rap. Abu-jamal, Mumia // New York Amsterdam News;7/5/2001, Vol. 92 Issue 27, p13
Comments on the criticisms on the rap music genre in the United States. Views of people on rap music during the 1960s and 1970s; List of popular rappers; Characteristics of rap music.
- Le rap. Legrand, Emmanuel // Billboard;1/28/95, Vol. 107 Issue 4, p48
Reports on the success of rap artists in France. Increasing international attention on French rap; Rappers from the Paris suburbs.
- Hardcore, gangsta ruled rap's roost; Others artists turned back to turntables. Nelson, Havelock // Billboard;12/25/93, Vol. 105/106 Issue 52/1, p44
Presents a retrospective of the rap music industry in 1993. Major commercial strides of hard-edged rap music; Success of rapper Dr. Dre's album `The Chronic'; Campaigns against some of rap's elements; Walkout at a National Association of Black Journalists convention; Urban radio stations'...