CENSORSHIP FOR EVERYONE
- Supreme Court hears ALA's CDA challenge. G.F. // American Libraries;May97, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p13
Looks at arguments about how the First Amendment applies in cyberspace heard by the United States Supreme Court on March 19, 1997. Challenge to the Communications Decency Act filed by the American Civil Liberties Union and a coalition of organizations led by the American Library Association...
- Congress revisits religion in schools. // Christian Science Monitor;11/3/97, Vol. 89 Issue 237, p10
Examines a proposed amendment to the United States Constitution which would protect religious freedom and allow voluntary school prayer. Opposition to the amendment based on the belief that the Constitution already guarantees those rights; Comments from Republican Representative Charles Canady;...
- The Istook Threat. Swomley, John M. // Humanist;Sep/Oct97, Vol. 57 Issue 5, p39
Criticizes the proposed Istook amendment which advocates government support of religion and its proponents. Contrast between the politics of right-wing Christians with the statements of Jesus; Proponents of the amendment; Implications of the proposed amendment.
- A 'NO' vote on Amendment 2 next Tuesday will preserve religions freedoms in Missouri. // Southern Illinois Labor Tribune;8/2/2012, Vol. 75 Issue 52, p1
The article discusses the opposition on Amendment 2 for religious freedom at Missouri, focusing on its negative consequences including its failure to recognize important constitutional limitations, poorly worded and misleading.
- 1st Amendment Isn't Anti-Religion. Limbaugh, David // Human Events;2/18/2002, Vol. 58 Issue 7, p11
Responds to commentaries about the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment which focuses on anti-religion motives. Provisions of the Amendment; Issues concerning the Amendment; Social relevance of the Amendment.
- Concepts and Compromise in First Amendment Religious Doctrine. Johnson, Phillip E. // California Law Review;Sep84, Vol. 72 Issue 5, p817
Examines the concept of the first amendment religious doctrine. Ways in which first amendment religion doctrine is indeterminate; Problematic assumptions in the justification of an active judicial role overseeing state involvement with religion on the basis of a policy of avoiding divisive...
- Moderate manifesto for church's future. O'Brien, David // National Catholic Reporter;8/29/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 37, p19
Reviews the book 'A People Adrift: The Crisis of the Roman Catholic Church in America,' by Peter Steinfels.
- VERBATIM. Dix, Tara; Gary, Heather Grennan // U.S. Catholic;Dec2003, Vol. 68 Issue 12, p10
Presents the statements issued by some individuals related to religion. Archbishop Stanislaw Dziwisz; Religion writer Peter Steinfels; Cardinal Pio Laghi; Archbishop Oscar Cruz.
- Istook amendment revised to mollify religious groups, introduced in House. // Church & State;Jun97, Vol. 50 Issue 6, p16
Focuses on Representative Ernest Istook's `Religious Freedom Amendment,' which is seen as the latest attempt by the Religious Right's to remove church-state separation from the Bill of Rights in the United States. How the proposal reads; What critics charged; Comments from House Speaker Newt...