Middle East Apocalypse Now?
- Hal Lindsay and the Great Dispensational Mutation. Sweetnam, Mark S. // Journal of Religion & Popular Culture;Jul2011, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p217
'Prophecy expert' Hal Lindsey has been an extraordinarily influential figure in American popular culture. His distinctive interpretation of the prophetic Scriptures has had remarkable success and has been a crucial shaping force on the way in which Americans think about the future....
- Millennial Relativity. Knowles, Jeremy // American Scholar;Autumn99, Vol. 68 Issue 4, p154
Presents the text of a message given by Jeremy Knowles, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University, on September 12, 1999 which deals with the prophecies about the millennium.
- Caught Up: The Tenability of the Rapture. Biondi, Zachary // LOGOS: A Journal of Undergraduate Research;Fall2012, Vol. 5, p29
From Hal Lindsey's The Late Great Planet Earth to the Left Behind novels, many evangelical Christians believe that the rapture--a sudden divine "snatching away" of all Christ-followers from earth--will signal the beginning of a treacherous seven-year Tribulation that will culminate in the...
- Terrorist threat grows. // Current Events;10/5/90, Vol. 90 Issue 4, p1
Discusses the possibility that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein may be planning a terrorist strike against United States troops in Saudi Arabia or other targets. US warning to Saddam; Saddam's call for a `jihad' or Muslim holy war; Suicide bombs, chemical weapons, etc.; Abu Nidal and other known...
- Saddam Hussein. // Current Events;3/1/91, Vol. 90 Issue 20, p1
Profiles Iraqi President Saddam Hussein. Personal background; Baath party; Plot to assassinate Iraq's former military dictator General Kassem; How Saddam rose to power; Why some Arabs consider him a hero; Persian Gulf War.
- Lebanon, Syria, and Iraq. Kort, Michael G. // Handbook of the Middle East;2002, p104
This chapter discusses information about Lebanon, Syria, and Iraq. The population of Lebanon is a volatile mixture of religious groups that have turned it into a country of quarreling, and often warring minorities. Syria is a Greek term that one referred to the Eastern Mediterranean region...
- A reporter at large. Bonner, Raymond // New Yorker;9/28/92, Vol. 68 Issue 32, p46
Details an on-going effort by New York City attorney Jemera Rone, a lawyer with Human Rights Watch, to put together a case against the atrocities being committed by Iraqi President Saddam Hussein against the Kurd people in provinces of northern Iraq that the US may present to the International...
- Iraqi plane shot down. // Current Events;1/11/93, Vol. 92 Issue 15, p2
Discusses how Saddam Hussein, dictator of Iraq, has sworn revenge for the United States downing of an Iraqi warplane last month. Plane flew into the no-fly zone; Details.
- The man who won't go away. // Current Events;2/1/93, Vol. 92 Issue 17, p1
Provides a history of the conflict with Saddam Hussein since the end of the Gulf War, February 1991. The latest confrontations between Iraq and the United States; Economic trade sanctions crippling Iraq's economy; Three air attacks on two no-fly zones and a plant suspected of conducting nuclear...