WHILE WERE AT IT
- Bernardin links abortion and arms race. // National Catholic Reporter;10/24/2014, Vol. 50 Issue 27, p26
The article reports that Cardinal Joseph Bernardin during his speech delivered at the Georgetown University on October 25, 1984, used the "seamless garment" analogy to abortion and the arms race.
- Cardinal Bernardin's seamless garment. McBrien, Richard P. // National Catholic Reporter;12/26/2008, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p28
The article focuses on the life and work of Cardinal Joseph Bernardin in the U.S. It relates the 25th year since the Cardinal, then archbishop of Chicago, Illinois and the incoming U.S. bishop's pro-life activities committee, where he called for consistent ethic of life approach to moral issues....
- Letter to Joseph Cardinal Bernardin on partial birth abortion legislation. Clinton, Bill // Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents;4/15/96, Vol. 32 Issue 15, p646
Presents United States President Bill Clinton's April 10, 1996 letter to Joseph Cardinal Bernardin about partial-birth abortion legislation.
- Sociology And Public Theology: A Case Study Of Pro-Choice/Prolife Common Ground. Kelly, James R. // Sociology of Religion;Summer99, Vol. 60 Issue 2, p99
This article uses David Martin's notion of retrieval and sociological theorist Alain Touraine's action sociology to place an effort in a general sociological framework for appropriate Association for the Sociology of Religion contributions to public theologies. The paradigm illustration used is...
- Bernardin's spirit lifted by ministry to cancer patients. Fox, Thomas C. // National Catholic Reporter;6/28/96, Vol. 32 Issue 33, p3
Profiles Catholic Cardinal Joseph Bernardin. Surgery for cancer removal in 1995; Transformation due to suffering; Enthusiasm for his cancer ministry; Reputation as a peacemaker in the church.
- Like a meteor that brightens the night's sky. Fox, Tom // National Catholic Reporter;12/06/96, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p2
Talks about Cardinal Joseph Bernardin, who died of cancer. Sexual abuse accusations against Bernardin; Bernardin's ministry to other cancer patients; Correspondence between the author and Bernardin.
- An interview with Cardinal Joseph L. Bernardin. Stahel, T.H. // America;6/8/1991, Vol. 164 Issue 22, p613
Interviews Cardinal Joseph L. Bernardin, Archbishop of Chicago. Vatican II documents; His opinion of three recent popes; Most satisfying and difficult experiences as a bishop; Drafting of `The Challenge of Peace'; Column for `The New World'; Pro-life work; Role of national bishops' conference.
- `You will die this week'. Gaynor, Ellen // Commonweal;12/20/96, Vol. 123 Issue 22, p24
Presents a reflection about the kind of man Cardinal Joseph Bernardin. Bernardin's special ministry to the sick; Inner peace shown by Bernardin in accepting his death; Experiencing God through Bernardin.
- Bernardin: `I have never abused anyone'. Fox, Thomas C. // National Catholic Reporter;12/3/93, Vol. 30 Issue 6, p3
Reports on the sexual abuse charge filed against Cardinal Joseph Bernardin of Chicago, Illinois. Steven J. Cook, a former seminarian as the plaintiff; Bernardin denying charges in a press conference; Support within and outside the Chicago archdiocese; Vatican supporting Bernardin.