The Popes and the Economy
- A most misunderstood message. Woodard, Joe // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;10/25/93, Vol. 20 Issue 45, p38
Looks at the reaction of the Canadian Catholic press and the secular press to publication of `The Splendor of Truth' by Pope John Paul II, a direct contradiction of fashionably heretical and semi-heretical currents among liberal Catholic intelligentsia. Negative and positive morality;...
- New encyclical flaunts pre-Vatican I theology. MacEoin, Gary // National Catholic Reporter;5/19/95, Vol. 31 Issue 29, p17
Opinion. Comments on Pope John Paul II's encyclical `Evangelium Vitae'. Pope's goal; Philosophy undergirding pre-Vatican I theology; Rejection of a pluralism of orthodox positions on issues.
- Centesimus Annus (1991). Gregg, Samuel // Institute of Public Affairs Review;Jul2006, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p30
The article reviews the book "Centesimus Annus," by Pope John Paul II.
- Back to Basics. // Commonweal;11/06/98, Vol. 125 Issue 19, p6
Deals with the message of Pope John Paul II to Catholics on the encyclical `Fides et ratio,' concerning the church and the world. Message of `Fides et ratio'; Comments on the implications of the pope's message.
- Odds and ends. Gilmour, Peter // U.S. Catholic;Feb99, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p7
Deals with the publication of the Fides et ratio, an encyclical letter written by Pope John Paul II. Significance of encyclical letters; Brief background of encyclical letters; Account of similar writings.
- The Economics of Human Freedom. Paul II, John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Aug/Sep1991, Issue 15, p36
Presents a condensation of the encyclical "The Hundreth Year (Centesimus Annus)," by Pope John Paul II.
- IS THERE PHILOSOPHICAL PROGRESS? A PHILOSOPHER RESPONDS TO THE POPE. Mendieta, Eduardo // Dialogue & Universalism;1999, Vol. 9 Issue 7/8, p115
Presents reflections on the encyclical letter 'Fides et Ratio' of Pope John Paul II. Perspective of a philosopher; Pope's view on the relationship between philosophy and theology; Philosophy's role as a laborer of and after truth; History of philosophy; Unity of philosophy.
- LITERATURE AS IF CHRIST MATTERED. Leiva-Merikakis, Erasmo // Dialogue & Universalism;1999, Vol. 9 Issue 7/8, p63
Presents reflections on the encyclical letter 'Fides et Ratio' of Pope John Paul II. Methodology of intelligent admiration; Need for faith to relate any and every form of literary narrative to the controlling narrative at the heart of Christianity; Son of God's glorification on the Cross.
- What evil lurks in the heart... Woodward, Kenneth L. // Newsweek;10/11/1993, Vol. 122 Issue 15, p69
Reports that Pope John Paul II has written a tough sequel to Pope Paul VI's controversial `Humanae Vitae.' `Veritatis Splendor,' reaffirming the church's ban on contraception; The church's conflict over sexual morality; Catholic thinkers who find the document's key assertion morally...