The Constitution and the Erotic Self
- Sodomy laws to be reconsidered by U.S. high court. // Contemporary Sexuality;Jan2003, Vol. 37 Issue 1, p8
This article focuses on sodomy laws in the United States. The United States Supreme Court announced that it will reconsider Bowers v. Hardwick, a 1986 decision that holds that a constitutional right to privacy does not apply to gays and lesbians who engage in oral and anal sex. The new case,...
- Powell played big role in sodomy case. // Advocate;09/29/98, Issue 769, p18
Focuses on the role played by former Supreme Court Justice Lewis Powell in the case `Bowers v. Hardwick' upholding Georgia's sodomy law in 1986. Powell's admission in 1990 that he may have made a mistake in supporting the ruling.
- Back to the future. // Advocate;2/6/96, Issue 700, p16
Reports that Georgia attorney general Michael Bowers earned the enmity of gay activists due to his defense of his state's sodomy law in the case of `Bowers vs. Hardwick'.
- Court Ruling Debases American Culture. Limbaugh, David // Human Events;7/14/2003, Vol. 59 Issue 23, p16
Discusses the implication of the ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court on the sodomy case Lawrence versus Texas for U.S. culture. Comparison of the sodomy case with the 1986 U.S. Supreme Court case Bowers versus Hardwick; Reason of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy for upholding the...
- Coming Out: Decision-Making in State and Federal Sodomy Cases. Ayres, Susan // Albany Law Review;1998, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p355
Illustrates how Bowers in a federal sodomy case against Hardwick produces the straight mind and examines whether other cases subvert that production. Definition of straight mind and its historical development; Features of a deconstructive reading approach in judicial reasoning; State decisions...
- In the Bedroom. Graff, E. J. // American Prospect;Mar2003, Vol. 14 Issue 3, pA22
Reports on the homosexual law in Texas which prohibits same sex oral and anal sex. Information on the case of John Lawrence and Tyrone Garner; Background of the U.S. Supreme Court case Bowers versus Hardwick; Reaction of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force to the law; Brief history of laws...
- Court Overturns Bowers v. Hardwick. Pusey, Allen // ABA Journal;Jun2012, Vol. 98 Issue 6, p72
The article presents information on the U.S. Supreme Court decision on the court case of Bowers v. Hardwick based on homosexual conduct and sodomy.
- Michigan Suit Targets State's Sodomy Laws. Freiberg, Peter // Advocate;8/16/88, Issue 505, p16
Reports on the filing of a lawsuit challenging Michigan's sodomy laws. Alleged violations of the state's constitution; United States Supreme Court ruling in 'Bowers v. Hardwick'; Concerns about the effects of the laws on gay men and lesbian women.
- FOURTEENTH AMENDMENT--THE SUPREME COURT LIMITS THE RIGHT TO PRIVACY. Caplan, Gary S. // Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology;Fall1986, Vol. 77 Issue 3, p894
This article focuses on the U.S. Supreme Court's decision to limit the right of privacy under the fourteenth amendment of the constitution. Ever since the landmark decision of Criswold versus Connecticut case, the Supreme Court has consistently enlarged the privacy rights of individuals based...