To Read and to Live
- LÃMITES CONCEPTUALES DE LA COMPETENCIA LITERARIA. RIENDA, José // Signa;2014, Issue 23, p753
The concept of literary competence has been linked and subordinated to communicative competence. This paper defines the conceptual boundaries between the two notions and defends the values of the specificity of the teaching of literature.
- Teachers and students as novelists: Ethical positioning in literature discussions. Wortham, Stanton // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Oct2001, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p126
Focuses on the adoption of political and ethical positions in literature discussion, in reference to the discussion of the book 'Julius Caesar' by William Shakespeare of an English class. Concept of voice; Role of classroom discourse in facilitating political and ethical positioning.
- Write Australia policy. Pierce, Peter // Bulletin with Newsweek;8/14/2007, Vol. 125 Issue 6582, p15
The article presents the author's views on Australian Literature. In his view, the Australian Literature is not getting its due importance and popularity as it should have received. He states that the number of academic courses in Australian literature have also sharply fallen and also the...
- A Grand Tradition of Struggle. West, Cornel // English Journal;Jul2000, Vol. 89 Issue 6, p39
Discusses the significant role of English teachers in the United States in reinvigorating the democratic traditions in the country. Information on the practice of white supremacy and its legacy; Views on overcoming racism and discrimination in education.
- Dwelling on Place: A Semester-Long Assignment for an American Indian Literature Course. Meland, Carter // Studies in the Humanities;Dec2006, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p264
This article discusses the author's experience of teaching an American Indian Literature course. He asked his students to write a research paper about their chosen places in North America and the cultural history of American Indian people living in those places. He also asks them to invent a...
- To Read or Not To Read: Responses to the New NEA Study. // Academic Questions;Spring2008, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p195
The author reflects on the new study about reading which is compiled in the study "To Read or Not To Read: A Question of National Consequence," by the National Endowment for the Arts. An overview of the reading scenario of the Americans is presented. The study indicates that Americans have less...
- Value Judgments. Lover, Rodney // Fast Company;Sep2004, Issue 86, p28
Presents a letter to the editor in response to the article "We, Incorporated," by Douglas Smith, on the July 2004 issue of "Fast Company."
- Untitled. // New Yorker;2/29/1964, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p111
An excerpt from the "TV Guide," a St. Louis edition, regarding the composition of the comical story about moral values by Robert Crean is presented.
- Eager to Speak Out. Jackson, Shirley Ann // Highlights;Sep2002, Vol. 57 Issue 9, p31
Presents an article describing the value of listening to others.