Can Atheists Be Good Citizens?
- Religion in a Free Society (Book). Mainelli, Eugene A. // Review of Religious Research;Fall69, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p92
Reviews the book "Religion in a Free Society," by Sidney Hook.
- American Philosophy: A Requiem. Fitch, Robert E. // New Republic;6/17/57, Vol. 136 Issue 24, p16
The article presents information on "American Philosopher at Work," edited by Sidney Hook. It might be more accurate, though less charitable, to say not that the philosophic enterprise is dead but simply that it is dying. The most vital activity in this body of death is precisely the malady that...
- Dewey's Bulldog: Sidney Hook, Pragmatism, and Naturalism. Bagger, Matthew C. // Journal of the American Academy of Religion;Sep2011, Vol. 79 Issue 3, p562
Sidney Hook distinguished himself as the most outspoken advocate of methodological naturalism in the pragmatist tradition. In response to the widespread ambivalence about methodological naturalism in the study of religion, this article exploits resources found in Hook's essays to argue for an...
- Symposium: A look at the life of Sidney Hook. Whitfield, Stephen J.; Klehr, Harvey E. // Academic Questions;Summer96, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p18
Presents articles reflecting on the contributions of philosopher Sidney Hook's ideas on intellectual trends in twentieth-century United States. Tribute to Hook's examined life by Stephen J. Whitfield; Hook's obsession with communism according to politics professor Harvey E. Klehr; Impact of...
- The importance of Sidney Hook. Kramer, H. // Commentary;Aug87, Vol. 84 Issue 2, p17
In a circle of writers who prided themselves on their insiders' knowledge of Marxism--Sidney Hook was the only one who was a recognized authority on the subject. He was also unusual among his confreres in the New York intellectual world for initiating and pursuing public debate over a whole...
- On being a Jew. // Commentary;Oct89, Vol. 88 Issue 4, p28
Interview with Jewish philosopher Sidney Hook. Family background; Religious training and keeping kosher; Zionism; Anti-Semitism; The Holocaust.
- Sidney Hook 1902-1989. Bell, D. // New Leader;7/24/89, Vol. 72 Issue 11, p3
Presents an overview of the philosophy and writings of the late author Sidney Hook. Initial Marxist leanings; Eventual anti-Communist outlook; Key works; Organizational activities.
- Remembering Sidney Hook. Epstein, J. // Commentary;Nov89, Vol. 88 Issue 5, p41
Tribute to author Sidney Hook. Hook's participation in a 1964 panel on `Liberalism and the Negro'; Personality; Books by Hook; Worldly philosophy; Political roles.
- Sidney Hook, R I P. Witonski, Peter // National Review;8/18/1989, Vol. 41 Issue 15, p15
The article presents an obituary for Sidney Hook, an American philosopher.