How Churches Crack Up: The Case of the Lutheran Church-- Missouri Synod
- MEMOIRS IN EXILE: CONFESSIONAL HOPE AND INSTITUTIONAL CONFLICT. // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Jan1991, Issue 9, p58
Reviews the book "Memoirs in Exile: Confessional Hope and Institutional Conflict," by John H. Tietjen.
- Discord at Concordia. // Time;2/4/1974, Vol. 103 Issue 5, p58
The article reports on the closure of Concordia Seminary, the biggest Lutheran seminary in the world, by a faculty and student boycott in Saint Louis, Missouri in 1974. It states that Reverend John H. Tietjen's, the president of Concordia, out was the reason for the closure on charges amounting...
- Half of priests say gay subculture exists. // Christian Century;8/28/2002, Vol. 119 Issue 18, p15
Reveals that majority of Catholic priests in the U.S. believe that a gay subculture exists in their dioceses or religious orders according to a study commissioned by the National Federation of Priests' Council in August 2002. Percentage of respondents who said that there is a gay subculture in...
- Calendar of Events. // Seminary Journal;2009, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p3
A calendar of events related to theological seminaries in the U.S. for 2009-2010 is presented, including national conference for diocesan vocation directors, joint assembly of the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA) Seminary Department and the National Conference of Diocesan...
- John Tietjen, pivotal Lutheran figure, dies. // Christian Century;3/9/2004, Vol. 121 Issue 5, p18
Pays tribute to John H. Tietjen, a prominent Lutheran personality in the United States, who died of cancer on February 15, 2004 at the age of 75.
- REFORMIST CURRENTS IN THE SPANISH-AMERICAN COUNCILS OF THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY. Luque Alcaide, Elisa // Catholic Historical Review;Oct2005, Vol. 91 Issue 4, p743
Focuses on the reforms of the Spanish-American councils of the Catholic Church in the eighteenth century. Need for each diocese to establish a teaching seminary; Efforts of Benedict XIV to maintain the unity of faith and life with Christ; Arrival of reformist current in the U.S. councils.
- Request for input. REIS, MARION J.; FOY, JOSEPH // National Catholic Reporter;12/20/2013, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p30
Two letters to the editor are presented including one on the preparation for the Synod of Bishops on the family gathering in October 2014 and second on the proposals to upgrade seminary studies.
- Book shows vigor of Asian Catholic vision. Heffern, Rich // National Catholic Reporter;10/25/2002, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p20
Reviews the book 'The Asian Synod: Texts and Commentaries,' compiled and edited by Peter Phan.
- VATICAN II (Book Review). Grimes, Donald J. // Theological Studies;Mar89, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p193
Reviews the book 'Vatican II: The Unfinished Agenda. A Look to the Future,' edited by Lucien Richard.