Religion and the New South Africa
- Evangelical leaders see their influence falling. Banks, Adelle M. // Christian Century;7/26/2011, Vol. 128 Issue 15, p20
The article presents discussion regarding the level of political and social influence held by evangelical Christians in the United States at the beginning of the 21st century. Comments by religious leader S. Douglas Birdsall are quoted, addressing the divergence between the perception and the...
- TRANSFER OF RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION AMONG URBAN NEGROES. Crawley, S. L. // Journal of Applied Psychology;
The article investigates the frequency and causes for transferring religious affiliation from one denomination to another among urban African Americans. The 180 completed reports accumulated by the interviewer employed no economic or territorial factors of selection. It was found that influence...
- LETTER FROM THE EDITOR. // Books & Culture (10828931);May/Jun2016, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p6
Several excerpts are presented from the May-June 2006 issue of the periodical "Christianity Today" which focuses on the pluralism and civility, religious ideology and problem of the evangelicals.
- A Spiritual Evangelical Church? Wilks, John G. F. // Evangel;Autumn2008, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p72
The article focuses on memberships within Evangelical churches. It tackles the issue of members' departure from churches and the reasons they do so. The article also presents the works of Alan Jamieson and James Fowler who identified the stages of faith, how these influence church memberships...
- Reading the numbers. Wire, Richard // Christian Century;1/8/2014, Vol. 131 Issue 1, p6
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Negative Numbers" in the December 11, 2013 issue, which discusses reports of U.S. church membership declines among mainline Protestant and evangelical churches in relation to spiritual vitality.
- CENTURY marks. // Christian Century;11/30/2010, Vol. 127 Issue 24, p8
The article presents news briefs regarding religion, politics and public life as of November 30, 2010. Statistics are given noting trends in people opting for non-membership in U.S. churches despite being active participants in the communities. A graph is provided depicting positive and negative...
- Untitled. // Time;12/26/1977, Vol. 110 Issue 26, p4
The article discusses various reports published within the issue including one by George Bernard Shaw on the subject of religion, one by Richard N. Ostling on the unusual degree of personal engagement in religion, and one by James Wilde on the faith of the Evangelicals.
- BY THE NUMBERS. // Our Sunday Visitor;8/24/2014, Vol. 103 Issue 17, p3
A chart is presented that shows the results of a 2014 survey by think tank Pew Research Center on self-identified religious affiliations and whether they are acquainted with at least one member of other faiths.
- ELCA reports drop in membership. // Christian Century;8/21/2007, Vol. 124 Issue 17, p15
This article discusses how the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) experienced a decline in its membership in 2006. According to the article, the ECLA's membership has been declining since the 1990s, reportedly due to a drop in the number of additional members, the disbanding of...