The Educational Vise
- Education. KELLY, F. J. // America;5/26/1928, Vol. 39 Issue 7, p158
The article focuses on the U.S. public school, the modern experiment where morality and religion is divorced from education. The new education is really narrower and more illiberal as it confines itself to the lower faculties of the human soul and treats as of secondary importance the higher...
- `Straight A's' proposal seeks local control of education. Kyl // Inside Tucson Business;08/30/99, Vol. 9 Issue 23, p5
Focuses on the efforts of the congress to improve education in Arizona. Support for the Academic Achievement for All Act; Plans for improving the use of federal education funds; Requirement for states and local school districts to establish specific academic goals to be achieved.
- Bush Promises Swift Action on Education. Robelen, Erik W. // Education Week;01/10/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 16, p1
Focuses on the promise of United States President George W. Bush of a bipartisan approach to improve the nation's public schools. Willingness of Democrats to cooperate with the administration; Praises for the selection of Houston school superintendent Rod Paige as education secretary; Debate...
- Proficiency tests succeeding. Zelman, Susan Tave; Gardner, Robert; Brading, Charles // Crain's Cleveland Business;05/15/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 21, p11
Focuses on Ohio officials' efforts to improve public schools. Success of Ohio's competency-based proficiency tests and Local Report Cards; Goal of getting students to graduate with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in life; Early warning system for a students' weak or problem...
- Rewriting state education history. Pipho, Chris // Phi Delta Kappan;May95, Vol. 76 Issue 9, p662
Focuses on the changes in the state education system in the United States. History of the public school system; Changes in the education code; Recommendations for the proposed governance framework.
- The fifth Bracey report on the condition of public education. Bracey, Gerald W. // Phi Delta Kappan;Oct95, Vol. 77 Issue 2, p149
Focuses on the real state of United States public education using hard data. Rhetoric against data and reason; School-bashing and media interest on public education; International and domestic data; Education and economy; Shortage of funds; General public's perception of the schools. INSET:...
- Detroit Schools CEO needs more support, Kilpatrick says. Ankeny, Robert; Bailey, Laura // Crain's Detroit Business;6/3/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 22, p52
Focuses on the importance of public officials' support in achieving the turnaround plan of public schools in Detroit, Michigan. Discussion on the future of the school district; Effort of Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick on improving schools; Measures on achieving turnaround plan.
- Making sense of public school finance reform. Nelson, Jane // Business Press;07/09/99, Vol. 12 Issue 11, p38
Presents information about the public school finance bill in the United States. Commonly asked questions about the legislation; Legislature approved budget package; Pay increase for teachers; Property tax relief and financial assistance for fast-growth school districts; State assistance...
- Education systems to weather drought. Alvarado, Angeles // Caribbean Business;8/11/1994, Vol. 22 Issue 32, p40
Discusses the outlook for the Puerto Rico education system for 1995. Effect of the water crisis; Budget appropriation for the public education system; Two major changes to impact on the public school system; Amendments to the Community School Law.