WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- PAPAL JOURNEYS. Goheen, Frank W. // Humanist;May/Jun86, Vol. 46 Issue 3, p29
Argues that the ideas and recommendations of Pope John Paul II and the Roman Catholic Church are uncompassionate. Opinion that the Pope's recommendation against birth control in India is absurd and beyond the realm of understanding; Argument that because the Pope is a product of the Eastern...
- The Maryknollers v. Christianity. Buckley Jr., Wm. F. // National Review;7/10/1981, Vol. 33 Issue 13, p800
The article comments on issues and events dealing with international affairs. Pope John Paul II has spoken against liberation theology during his visit to Mexico, saying that the Church's catechisms is contrary to Marxism and the concept of class struggle. It analyzes the view of Israeli Prime...
- Shared qualities and change. Bodin Cohen, Deborah // Washington Jewish Week;12/17/2015, Vol. 51 Issue 51, p23
The article discusses the meeting of a delegation of 130 Jewish leaders with Pope John XXIII in October 1960.
- 'We Are Brothers' // Christianity Today;Jun2005, Vol. 49 Issue 6, p28
Discusses the relations between evangelicals and the Roman Catholic Church. Role of the late Pope John Paul II in the ecumenical movement; Teaching of the Bible about engagement between the Christian sects; Factors that led to the improved relations between Protestants and Catholics.
- THE MISSING THIRD ALTERNATIVE. Novak, Michael // National Review;3/8/1985, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p39
Analyzes Pope John Paul II's view of Liberation Theology in light of his travel to Latin America in 1985. Press depiction of antagonism between liberation theologians and liberals; John Paul's third alternative, which is neither traditionalist nor socialist; Advocacy of structural reform and...
- 'Puebla' upholds poor. // National Catholic Reporter;10/24/2014, Vol. 50 Issue 27, p20
The article reports on the Latin American Episcopal Conference held in Puebla, Mexico, on February 21, 1979 in which Pope John Paul II has endorsed liberation theology and church's allegiance with the poor to change society in favor of the poor.
- The Pope and Theologies of Liberation. // America;2/10/1979, Vol. 140 Issue 5, p84
The article reflects on an address delivered by Pope John Paul II in a meeting of the Latin American hierarchy in Puebla, Mexico, and his words on liberation theology. It notes that several commentators understood the words of the Pope to amount to a rejection of liberation theology. It cites...
- Erich the Dead. Kennedy-Banner, Catarina // New Republic;7/18/94-7/25/94, Vol. 211 Issue 3/4, p11
Criticizes the grand larceny of the German language by German Democratic Republic leader Erich Honecker. Examples of communist slogans under his administration; Description of the language of East German communism; Stereotype of East Germans formed by West Germans.
- A remarkable presence. // Commonweal;10/10/2003, Vol. 130 Issue 17, p5
Discusses the worldwide popularity of Pope John Paul II. Influence of John Paul on the Catholic Church and the world; Comments on his papacy; Attitude toward U.S. concept of freedom; Stance of conservative Catholics on his papacy.