THE EXCITABLE DR. WATSON
- Ethics watch: Did eugenics ever die? Wertz, Dorothy C. // Nature Reviews Genetics;Jun2002, Vol. 3 Issue 6, p408
Comments on the moral and ethical issues related to eugenics, a coercive government-sponsored program to control reproduction. Impact of the pessimistic construction of genetic counseling; Issues on the definition of birth defects; Goal of the Human Genome Project.
- Anthropological genetics in the 21st century: Introduction. Crawford, Michael H. // Human Biology;Feb2000, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p3
Discusses the history and development of anthropological genetics. Origins and results of the Human Genome Project and the Human Genome Diversity Program; Influence of the two projects in anthropological genetics.
- IBEA to Run on the Energy of Biotechnology. Agres, Ted // Genomics & Proteomics;Oct2002, Vol. 2 Issue 8, p15
Reveals plans for the development of the Institute for Biological Energy Alternatives for the sequencing of the human genome. Sequencing and assembly of the genomes of microorganisms that compose an ecosystem within a larger organism; Grants awarded by the Department of Energy for the genome...
- Breaking the Code. Dyer, Nicole // Science World;09/18/2000, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p4
Features the Human Genome Project in the United States.
- Touchingbase. // Nature Genetics;May2000, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p9
Reports on developments concerning nature genetics as of May 2000. Efforts to develop the ORESTES collection as a resource complementary to existing collections of sequences and as an aid to current attempts to annotate the human genome; Establishment of the Mouse Genome Sequencing Network by...
- Strong Unity, Rich Diversity: The Human Genome. Lindquist, Susan L. // Black Issues in Higher Education;12/21/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 22, p42
Focuses on human diversity. Implications of the completion of the first draft of the human genome in June 2000; Purpose of the pigmentation of skins; Differences in genetic codes.
- Power to the people. Baxevanis, Andreas D.; Collins, Francis S. // Nature Genetics;Sep2003 Supplement, Vol. 35, p2
Focuses on the special supplement "A User's Guide to the Human Genome" provided with the September 02, 2003 issue of the journal "Nature Genetics." Aim of the supplement; Factors influencing the development of the supplement.
- Spreading the word. Packer, Alan // Nature Genetics;Sep2003 Supplement, Vol. 35, p1
Editorial. Focuses on the supplementary issue "A User's Guide to the Human Genome" provided with the September 02, 2003 issue of the journal "Nature Genetics." Authors of the supplementary issue; Contributors who helped in the development of the guide.
- Roads towards a lingua democratica on genomics: How can metaphors guide us? // Genomics, Society & Policy;Dec2009, Vol. 5 Issue 3, preceding p1
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the author discusses an article on metagenomic analysis of human body by Eric Juengst and John Huss, a study on the importance of emotions in understanding metaphor and policy by Celeste Condit, and the role of map metaphor in the presentation...