THE BISHOP DECEIVED
- Recent Crises. // Virginia Magazine of History & Biography;2007, Vol. 115 Issue 2, p328
The article offers a look the issues encountered by the Episcopal Church in relation to the ordination of women to priesthood in Virginia from 1970 to 2007. In the late 20th century, the Episcopal Church encountered two divisive issues, including prayer book revision and the ordination of women...
- Spong ordains homosexual. // Christianity Today;2/5/90, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p55
Reports on the controversial appointment of a practicing homosexual man to the priesthood, by Episcopal Bishop John Spong. Criticism of Spong's action by the Episcopal Synod of America (ESA).
- Across the threshold. Wolf, Geralyn // Anglican Theological Review;Spring99, Vol. 81 Issue 2, p271
Narrates the experience of a woman Episcopal bishop at the 1998 Lambeth Conference. Thoughts on women ordination; Views on the conference goals and the role of women in the Anglican Communion; Impression on colleagues and secular issues; Reflections on religious life; Notion on the role of...
- Spong sprung. // Christianity Today;3/3/89, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p52
A second set of charges against Episcopal Bishop John Spong has been dropped by the church for procedural reasons. Conservatives within the Episcopal Church have accused Spong of violating his vows by supporting extra- and pre-marital sex.
- Gay Episcopal priests. // Christian Century;10/2/91, Vol. 108 Issue 27, p872
Reports that Episcopal Bishop John Spong ordained another practicing homosexual to the priesthood on September 14. Additional comments from former Episcopal priest Robert Williams.
- JOHN SPONG PRO-GAY BISHOP. Freiberg, Peter // Advocate;8/2/88, Issue 504, p10
Interviews Bishop John Spong, head of the Episcopal diocese of Newark, New Jersey. Spong's proposal that the church bless committed gay relationships; Views on gay people and homosexuality; Christian denominations that accept homosexuality.
- Disorganized religion. Kennedy, Eugene Cullen // National Catholic Reporter;1/19/2007, Vol. 43 Issue 12, p20
The author reflects on the two institutional religion, Episcopal church and Roman Catholic church, that adopt different tactics for same problem that leads to disorganize religion. He states that Episcopal church and Roman Catholic church have been facing the problem on ordaining homosexuals or...
- Celebration of Defiance. // Time;11/11/1974, Vol. 104 Issue 20, p170
The article reports on the ordination of three Episcopal women as priests from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, who publicly claim their priesthood at a Eucharistic service on Reformation Sunday in Manhattan, New York City's interdemonational Riverside Church. It is said that the three women, Rev....
- 40 years of women in the priesthood. TAMMEUS, BILL // National Catholic Reporter;7/18/2014, Vol. 50 Issue 20, p1
The article discusses the struggle for women's priesthood equality in the Episcopal church, the U.S.-based member church of the worldwide Anglican Communion. Topics discussed include views of Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori on the issue, the book "The Story of the Philadelphia Eleven" on...