WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Contesting Values and Searching for “Rules” in the Anglican Crisis. Anderson, John // Politics & Religion;Dec2011, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p428
Over the last decade the 80-million strong Anglican Communion has been increasingly divided, seemingly over the issue of sexuality. This article explores this conflict by focusing on the particular problems of resolving conflict when the divisions are a product of a growing ethical pluralism...
- An American reformation. Sheler, Jeffrey L. // U.S. News & World Report;07/19/99, Vol. 127 Issue 3, p46
Describes the divisions over sex-related issues in many United States mainline Protestant denominations. Opposing views of ministers Scott Field and John Schwiebert about homosexuality in the United Methodist Church; Issue of the ordination of homosexuals in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in...
- Splinter groups turn into churches. Burke, Daniel // Christian Century;3/21/2012, Vol. 129 Issue 6, p14
The article presents discussion regarding trends in denominational schism in U.S. Protestant Christianity in the 21st century. Details are given highlighting specific cases of such divisions within the Presbyterian Church and the Anglican Church. Accounts are provided outlining the controversial...
- Church documents on human sexuality and the authority of scripture. Fulkerson, Mary McClintock // Interpretation: A Journal of Bible & Theology;Jan95, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p46
Focuses on the sexuality documents produced by Protestant churches to address the phenomenon of human sexuality in relation to the Holy Scriptures. Controversy about the documents; Anatomy of biblical authority; Conflicts in texts to conflicts in communities.
- Unholy trinity: God, sex and religion. Russell, Katharine // Lesbian News;Sep97, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p28
Opinion. Focuses on the issue of sex and religion. Reference to the affair between the daughter of Orange County Representative John Schmitz and a 13-year old boy; Questions over the origin of sex being taboo; Importance of the religion as a means of imposing order and structure in society;...
- If the world is making sex into a religion it wouldn't be for the first time. Byfield, Ted; Byfield, Virginia // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;03/17/97, Vol. 24 Issue 14, p36
Opinion. Discusses the conclusions of Charles Pickstone, author of the book `For Fear of the Angels: How Sex Supplanted Religion.' Pickstone's argument that Western civilization has replace God with sex; The rituals and clergy; The biblical teaching on sex; Sex and religion in the Greek...
- Is sex safe in your library? Cornog, Martha // Library Journal;8/1/1993, Vol. 118 Issue 13, p43
States that because we have laws against sexual expression but not against religious or political expression, librarians cannot avoid censorship battles about sex, especially at a time when sexual issues saturate the media and sexual problems beset patrons. Increase in censorship of sexuality...
- FYI. // Gay & Lesbian Times;2/14/2008, Issue 1051, p20
The article reports on the social statement on human sexuality "Free in Christ to Serve the Neighbor: Lutherans Talk about Human Sexuality" which will be released on March 13, 2008 by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in the U.S.
- Episcopalians decide against sex discussion. // National Catholic Reporter;9/9/94, Vol. 30 Issue 39, p4
Focuses on Episcopal bishops' opposition to planned debate on five controversial sexuality measures. Conflict between the members of the church.