Religion in the Unheavenly City
- Morality, Spirituality, and Democracy. Wuthnow, Robert // Society;Mar/Apr98, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p37
This article focuses on morality, spirituality and democracy in the U.S. Speaking of morality is always troublesome because the very term suggests that some activities are to be set apart from others that are either immoral or amoral. Such a distinction plays well with certain economistic views...
- The Attitude of Belgian Authorities Toward New Religious Movements. Denaux, Adelbert // Brigham Young University Law Review;2002, Vol. 2002 Issue 2, p237
Describes the situation regarding the treatment of sects and New Religious Movements in Belgium. Legal foundations of religious freedom in Belgium; Establishment and legal status of the information and Advice Center Concerning Harmful Sectarian Organizations; Operational definition of harmful...
- Partisan Politicking by Churches. // Humanist;Sep/Oct96, Vol. 56 Issue 5, p46
No abstract available.
- ADDENDA. Malcolm, Teresa // National Catholic Reporter;04/07/2000, Vol. 36 Issue 23, p8
Presents religion-related news in the United States as of April 7, 2000. Petitions distributed by the Oregon Catholic Conference asking for a statewide vote on a proposed Life for a Life initiative; Publication of the periodical `La Vida Catolica.'
- China cracks down on spiritual movement. // Church & State;Sep99, Vol. 52 Issue 8, p22
Reports the dispute between Chinese government and Falun Gong religious movement. Involvement of Falun Gong followers in a peaceful sit-in protest on April 25, 1999; Accusations of Chinese government.
- The good sought in common. Fromherz, Frank A. // America;5/2/1998, Vol. 178 Issue 15, p13
Discusses the role of religious organizations in shaping the public good in a society that is naturally blessed and has signs of anti-institutionalism. Oregon as an example of a society that exhibits animosity with religious organizations; Attitudes of people that belongs to organized religions.
- THE NINETEENTH-CENTURY UNDERSTANDING OF THE ESTABLISHMENT CLAUSE. Buck, Stuart // Texas Review of Law & Politics;Spring2002, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p399
Reports the origin of establishment clauses in the U.S. Links between state and religious institution; Emphasis of the direct governmental support for religious entities; Validity of originalism as an interpretative approach.
- Group won't report on religious freedom in Israel. // National Catholic Reporter;6/1/2001, Vol. 37 Issue 31, p10
Reports on the criticism of American Muslims and Christian organizations on federal commission on international religious freedom.
- Death Watch. Oden, Thomas C. // Christianity Today;Jan2003, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p44
Focuses on the status of Christians in Turkey as of January 2003. Repression of Christians by the government; Issue on the continuity between the ethnic Syriac-speaking Christians and the Christian beginnings; Information on the Nisibis church; Efforts to urge the government to develop area...