Taking Religious Freedom Seriously
- A Century of Religious Freedom. Choper, Jesse H. // California Law Review;Dec2000, Vol. 88 Issue 6, p1709
Focuses on the Religion Clauses in the First Amendment of the United States Bill of Rights which direct the separation of church and state and protect the free exercise of religion. History of the Religion Clauses; Changes in the approach of the Supreme Court toward the Religion Clauses;...
- Religious rights. McConnell, Michael W. // American Enterprise;Nov/Dec95, Vol. 6 Issue 6, p67
Reports that many conservative Christian groups in the United States are trying to propose legislation, or even constitutional amendment, to guarantee equal treatment for religious speakers, groups, and ideas in the public sphere. Two principles included in the proposals; Interpretation of...
- Did the Fourteenth Amendment Repeal the First? Rubenfeld, Jed // Michigan Law Review;Jun98, Vol. 96 Issue 7, p2140
Responds to Jonathan D. Hacker's belief that the Fourteenth Amendment has repealed the First, and his criticism of the author's support of the Supreme Court's decision to strike down the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA). Impact of the Fourteenth Amendment on the First; Details on the...
- The First Amendment freedoms, civil peace and the quest for truth. Dry, Murray // Constitutional Commentary;Summer98, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p325
Emphasizes on the importance of the First Amendment freedoms of speech and religion in the United States Constitution. Philosophic contributions to freedom of speech in American constitutionalism; Information on the book `Areopagitica,' written by John Milton in 1644; Conclusion.
- Istook amendment may be revised yet again before vote. // Church & State;Mar1998, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p3
Reports that United States Representative Ernest Istook's `Religious Freedom Amendment,' may be altered again. Reaction of Christian activists on the latest version of the amendment; Reference to proposed changes to the amendment; when the amendment was introduced.
- A religious liberty amendment. // American Enterprise;Nov/Dec95, Vol. 6 Issue 6, p68
Presents a list of cases in the United States which shows how the state interfere with American religious practices. Description of religious discrimination by William Bennett as the last respectable form of bigotry in America; Purpose of the First Amendment; Misuse of the constitutional...
- How Free Are We? Afford, Deann // Christianity Today;03/06/2000, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p31
Focuses on the International Religious Freedom Act (IRFA). Background information on the act; Israel's response to the IRFA; Comments from the spokesman of the American Coptic Association.
- Religious amendment unveiled. R.N.S. // Christian Century;12/6/95, Vol. 112 Issue 35, p1167
Reports on United States Representative Henry J. Hyde's proposed constitutional amendment allowing for greater religious expression in public places. Opponents' efforts to prevent passage of the amendment; Alternative bills proposed.
- Judging Alito. Rogers, Melissa // Christian Century;1/10/2006, Vol. 123 Issue 1, p9
This article focuses on conflicts between the church and the state in the U.S. It discusses the ways the First Amendment protects religious freedom. It explores the 1996 case of American Civil Liberties Union versus Black Horse Pike Regional Board of Education. The explanation given by the U.S....