School Choice as Simple Justice
- SCHOOL CHOICE, THE FIRST AMENDMENT, AND SOCIAL JUSTICE. Garnett, Nicole Stelle; Garnett, Richard W. // Texas Review of Law & Politics;Spring2000, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p301
Examines key issues relevant to constitutional arguments and policies on school choice in the U.S. Private citizens' preferences for religious schools; Equal treatment of religious schools by the government; Regulation of private schools; Relationship between school choice and social justice.
- Does School Choice "Work"? Hess, Frederick M. // National Affairs;Fall2010, Vol. 5, p35
The article discusses school choice movement, which is on the verge of disillusionment. It cites "Breaking Free: Public School Lessons and the Imperative of School Choice," by Sol Stern of Manhattan Institute, "The Death and Life of the Great American School System," by historian Diane Ravitch,...
- Complaint Targets NCLB Transfers in Calif. Hoff, David J. // Education Week;4/5/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 30, p5
The article reports that a team of conservative legal scholars has filed a complaint charging that two Southern California school districts have failed to offer students school choice as required under federal law. It has also asked the U.S. Department of Education to withhold the districts'...
- Changing American Schools: The Intersection of Choice and the Constitution. Slawson, Shelby // Review of Litigation;Summer2003, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p759
Discusses the concept of school choice in the U.S. General characteristics of a voucher program; Establishment clause jurisprudence; Ohio's pilot project scholarship program.
- Restlessness Abroad. Buckley Jr., William F. // National Review;10/28/1996, Vol. 48 Issue 20, p83
The article comments on the lack of major political candidates in the U.S. who are committed to addressing the issues of racially balanced schools and school choice. It describes the impact of busing on the academic performance of school children in Midland, Texas. It criticizes the focus of the...
- Editorial. Musschenga, Albert; Heeger, Robert // Ethical Theory & Moral Practice;Oct2011, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p491
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including open duties, choices and justice.
- Republicans Enhance State-Level Advantage. Ujifusa, Andrew // Education Week;11/12/2014, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p1
The article discusses potential changes in U.S. educational policy at the state level in response to the increased number of Republican governors and lawmakers voted into office through the 2014 midterm elections. Topics addressed include potential advocacy of school choice programs, likely...
- House ESEA Draft Would Reduce Federal School Role. Klein, Alyson // Education Week;1/11/2012, Vol. 31 Issue 15, p16
The article overviews the Education and the Workforce Committee of the U.S. House of Representative's proposed changes for a reauthorized version of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). Particular focus is given to their proposed elimination of adequate yearly progress (AYP)...
- Some School Choice Backers Tepid on Title I Portability Proposal. Ujifusa, Andrew // Education Week;10/28/2015, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p16
The article discusses proposed U.S. legislation regarding school choice and Title I education funding. Particular focus is given to a bill passed by the U.S. House of Representatives reauthorizing the U.S. Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) of 1965, which includes a provision that...