WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- On Fame in Print. Patrick, Robert M. // Human Life Review;Spring2005, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p51
Focuses on how Pope John Paul II was featured in the journal "The Economist," in three whole-pages. Criticisms over the journalistic approaches used by the editors for the article; Contention on the lack of competition in pontification; Political insinuations of the article.
- John Paul II in Africa. // America;5/24/1980, Vol. 142 Issue 20, p432
The author looks at the reasons why Pope John Paul II chose Africa as his fifth trip abroad. He discusses the remarkable growth of the African church including the lack of enough seminaries that would accommodate the growing number of applicants for admission, and Africa's efforts to develop...
- John Paul II and Cuba. Szulc, Tad // America;12/11/99, Vol. 181 Issue 19, p6
Reports on the intervention of Pope John Paul II in Cuba. Meeting of foreign ministers in Cuba in November 1999; Visit of Pope John Paul II in Cuba; Legitimization of Cuban dissidents through the effort of the pope; Relationship of the government with the Cuban church.
- KAROL WOJTYLA. // Poland;2005, p28
This article deals with the contributions of the Pope John Paul II to the religious sector of Poland. His family background was discussed. The challenges faced by the Pope were presented. His significance to the fall of communism was stated.
- Proclamation vs. dialogue. Fox // National Catholic Reporter;12/03/99, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p12
Focuses on the reactions of people to the call of Pope John Paul II for the conversion of Asia to Christianity as proclaimed in New Delhi, India. Conflict between Hindus and Christians; Effect of the criticism on the call for conversion; Warning of the pope against the separation of the Holy...
- Brazilian bishops warned against political model. Donovan, Gill // National Catholic Reporter;11/1/2002, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p13
Reports on warning issued to bishops by Pope John Paul II on the political role of Catholic Church in Brazil.
- Papacy and Power. Weigel, George // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Feb2001, Issue 110, p18
Discusses factors contributing to the capacity of Pope John Paul II to shape politics and history. Charisma of moral persuasion capable of being translated into political effectiveness; How John Paul's public accomplishment has provided empirical support for intellectual and moral challenges to...
- Washington Diarist. H.P. // New Republic;10/13/79, Vol. 181 Issue 15, p43
Comments on the journey to the United States of John Paul II after his election as pope. Selection of the leader of the church by the College of Cardinals; Welcome of the pope at Madison Square Garden before his arrival in Washington; Evocation of spiritual hunger with the longing for faith and...
- Religion, genetics and the embryo. Boukhari, Sophie // UNESCO Courier;Sep99, Vol. 52 Issue 9, p24
Looks at the debate about the soul of the human embryo that concerns creatures of flesh and blood by several religions. Details on the Catholic Church; Opinion of Pope John Paul II; Position of the Orthodox Christians on the issue; Belief of the Jews. INSET: Israel: DNA Matchmakers.