Judaism and American Public Life: A Symposium
- The First Reader. // Judaism;Winter89, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p3
Focuses on the complex and difficult character of the relationship of religion and state in Israel. Definition of Judaism; Background of the Zolli case; Jewishness of Freud and Gay.
- Notes on church-state affairs: Belgium. Herndon, David W.; Kennedy, James M. // Journal of Church & State;Autumn97, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p829
Highlights the report published by the Belgian Parliamentary Commission on Cults which labeled 189 churches and groups as cults. Exclusion of Opus Dei and the charismatic movement; Criticism of the report.
- Religious experience. Stanglin, Douglas; Walsh, Kenneth T. // U.S. News & World Report;11/24/97, Vol. 123 Issue 20, p27
Reports that American Jewish leaders will visit China before the end of 1997, at the invitation of Beijing, to discuss a Chinese plan to add Judaism to the country's list of officially recognized religions. The meaning of the recognition; Number of Chinese citizens who consider themselves Jewish.
- Foreign preachers find shrinking pulpit in Russia. Karush, Sarah // Christian Science Monitor;6/3/96, Vol. 88 Issue 131, p1
Reports on the restrictions given to foreign missionaries in Russia due to growing nationalist movement in the country. Foreign missionaries as threat to Russian culture; Approval of a bill that calls for registration of foreign missionaries; Background on the Moscow Patriarchate's lobbying for...
- On A Wing And A Prayer. Benen, Steven // Church & State;May2001, Vol. 54 Issue 5, p4
Discusses issues surrounding two proposed faith-based bills in the United States Congress. House bill to write the administration's policy proposal into federal law and award churches and other religious groups with federal grants and contracts to provide social services; Senate bill promoting...
- INTRODUCTION. Scott, Joan Wallach // Politics of the Veil;2007, p1
An introduction to the book "The Politics of the Veil," by Joan Wallach Scott is presented.
- Judge defines church-state rules for Ala. Walsh, Mark // Education Week;11/05/97, Vol. 17 Issue 10, p1
Details a United States federal injunction prohibiting many long-standing religious practices in Alabama public schools by US District Judge Ira DeMont; How DeMont ordered school districts to provide in-service training to staff members; Coverage of the training; Stand of other Alabama...
- Cardinal hails House vote to ban cloning. // National Catholic Reporter;8/10/2001, Vol. 37 Issue 36, p11
Reports on the acclaim made by Cardinal William H. Keeler on the decision of the U.S. House of Representatives to ban all cloning of human embryos.
- Israel and Palestine, and charges of anti-Semitism: a Witherspoon comment. // Network News;Fall2004, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p18
The article reports that the Witherspoon Society Executive Committee supports the statements of the 216th General Assembly on Israel and Palestine, and applauds the efforts of the national staff and Moderator to maintain communication with the Jewish faith community and others about the very...