NIST Probe of WTC Collapse Yields Call for Improvements
- Columns Likely Failed First in Terrorist-Triggered WTC
Fires. Post, Nadine M. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;6/28/2004, Vol. 252 Issue 26, p12
The lead investigator of the $16-million Federal Building and Fire Safety Investigation of the New York-based World Trade Center's (WTC) destruction says the team's working hypothesis is that columns, weakened by fires fed by jet fuel, failed and triggered the collapse of the twin 110-story...
- Challenges Slow Trade Center Work. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;9/29/2003, Vol. 251 Issue 13, p16
This article presents information on the proposal of National Institute of Standards and Technology for a contract related to World Trade Center (WTC). As it launches its first-person interviews that are part of a $2-million study of occupant behavior, egress and emergency communications, the...
- New York's Building Code Reflects High-Rise Concerns. Nadel, Barbara A. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;5/31/2004, Vol. 252 Issue 22, FEATURE CODES p8
A series of revisions to New York City's building code, based partly on lessons learned from the 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center, are coming up for legislative and mayoral approval this summer. The U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology, for instance, is analyzing stair...
- Terrorism-Provoked Changes Proposed. Post, Nadine M. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;4/3/2006, Vol. 256 Issue 13, p12
The article focuses on controversies surrounding federal recommendations produced by World Trade Center (WTC) investigation. Conspicuously absent from the many proposed model code changes stemming from the WTC attacks are any from the National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS). NIBS was...
- WTC public hearing held in New Jersey. Dines, Kaylyn Kendall // New York Amsterdam News;1/31/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 5, p5
Focuses on the public hearing held in New Jersey on the rebuilding of the World Trade Center (WTC) site and creation of a memorial honoring individuals who lost their lives due to September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Plans that were proposed for rebuilding the WTC site; Opinion of the audience...
- WHAT I'VE LEARNED. Fussman, Cal // Esquire;Jan2002, Vol. 137 Issue 1, p66
Relates the experience of a man who survived the collapse of the the World Trade Center during the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. Details on the incident; How he went down the building from the eighty-first floor after the first hijacked airplane hit the building; Lessons he learned...
- Club Quarters. // AirGuide Online.com;3/15/2010, p3
The article informs that the World Trade Center Hotel will offer the World Trade Center site which was destroyed in the 9/11 terror attacks.
- Attack On America. Kelleher, Jackie // Teen Ink;Sep2002, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p18
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of witnessing the destruction caused by the terrorist attack in World Trade Center, New York City on September 11, 2001.
- Together They Stood. Shannon, Michael // Teen Ink;Sep2002, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p19
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of seeing the World Trade Center in New York City and learning about the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.