Defining the Human: Are Transgender People Strangers to the Law?
- Washington State Bans Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Discrimination. A. S. L. // Lesbian -- Gay Law Notes;Feb2006, p16
The article reports on the Washington State legislature's approval of bill amend the state's antidiscrimination statute to add sexual orientation to the list of prohibited reasons for discrimination in employment, public accommodations and real estate, banking and insurance transactions. The law...
- ENDA as we've known it must die. Foremann, Matt // Empty Closet;Sep2004, Issue 372, pA8
Calls for an amendment to the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) that will protect transgender people in the U.S. Refusal of the Democrat-controlled Assembly to include gender identity and expression in the Sexual Orientation Non Discrimination Act; Action to be taken in order to pass the...
- November-December 2003: Ten Years After. Schneider Jr., Richard // Gay & Lesbian Review Worldwide;Nov/Dec2003, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p4
Comments on the issues related to the passage of non-discriminatory laws on sexual orientation in the U.S. Crisis concerning gays in the military during U.S. President Clinton's administration; Reference to the Lawrence versus Texas litigation; Dispute on the legalization of same-sex marriage.
- New York State Bans Sexual Orientation Discrimination. Leonard, Arthur S. // Lesbian -- Gay Law Notes;Jan2003, p2
Reports on the approval of the Sexual Orientation Non-Discrimination Act by the New York State Senate. Amendment of the state's Human Rights, Civil Rights and Education Laws; Insertion of the term sexual orientation into every list of prohibited grounds of discrimination contained in those...
- Calif. moves on trans anti-discrimination bill. // Empty Closet;Jul2011, Issue 447, p4A
The article reports on the passage of the Gender Nondiscrimination Act, which would strengthen employment, housing and other civil rights protections for all Californians, following a vote in the California State Senate Judiciary Committee on June 14, 2011.
- New civil rights in action. Waxman, Lionel // Inside Tucson Business;6/23/2003, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p5
Comments on the expansion of Arizona's state civil rights law. Prohibition of sexual discrimination in public accommodations; Negative impact of the law on businesses; Law's non-protection against age discrimination; Confusing provision of the law on the definition of lewd or immoral character.
- EEOC sets stage for Title VII protection of transgender workers. // HR Specialist: New York Employment Law;Jul2012, Vol. 7 Issue 7, p7
The article offers information on the Title VII of the Civil Rights Act which protects employees and job applicants from sex discrimination. It says that the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has cited that Title VII protect transgender employees from discrimination based on...
- Poll vast majority of Americans backs transgender rights. // Empty Closet;
The article focuses on a survey conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute. According to the firm's chief executive officer (CEO) doctor Robert Jones, 3 out of 4 Americans believe that transgender people should have the same general rights and legal protections as other people. The...
- THE BATHROOM CHRONICLES. Cooper, T. // Out;May2008, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p44
The article relates the bathroom experiences of the author. He uses both women's and men's bathrooms. He describes several situations in which he uses the women's room and the men's room. In Montgomery County, Maryland, church and concerned parents' groups are protesting against a new law that...