St. Louis may give Mayor control of its troubled school system
- Race reversal. Mahtesian, Charles // Governing;Nov97, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p72
Looks at St. Louis Mayor Clarence Harmon, dealing with racial issues and his efforts in sending a message of conciliation to the black North Side of St. Louis. Resignation of the mayor in December 1995; Accusations from Freeman Bosley Jr., St. Louis' first African-American mayor. INSET: By the...
- One police chief moves up... Tharp, Mike // U.S. News & World Report;3/17/97, Vol. 122 Issue 10, p17
Focuses on Clarence Harmon, the first black police chief in St. Louis, Missouri. How he was forced out of office in 1995 after a long-running battle with the city's police board; Mayor Freeman Bosley Jr. who led the anti Harmon forces on the board; How Harmon trounced Bosley in the Democratic...
- St. Louis mayor appoints panel to review city's finances. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;09/05/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30224, p34
Discloses that Saint Louis, Illinois Mayor Clarence Harmon has appointed a Financial Review Committee to scrutinize the city's tax structure and finances. Speculations of Harmon's plans to repeal the one percent income tax; Panel's review of economic development tools.
- New mayor. // Jet;04/21/97, Vol. 91 Issue 22, p36
Presents a photograph of Democrat Clarence Harmon after his Saint Louis, Missouri mayor's victory.
- Harmon vs. the political machine. Judd, Dennis // St. Louis Journalism Review;Dec98/Jan99, Vol. 29 Issue 212, p15
Opinion. Profiles Saint Louis, Missouri Mayor Clarence Harmon. Weaknesses in the city's political structures; Reactions to Harmon's proposal to convert the arena into an office park; Steps taken to reform the city's political fragmentation; Critics' assessment of the mayor's political skills.
- Victory speech. // Jet;03/24/97, Vol. 91 Issue 18, p40
Presents a photograph of Clarence Harmon and his wife Janet following his victory over St. Louis, Missouri mayor Freeman Bosley Jr. in the Democratic mayoral primary. The racial overtones of the race.
- Black and blue. Glastris, Paul // U.S. News & World Report;2/13/95, Vol. 118 Issue 6, p43
Focuses on St. Louis, Missouri, Police Chief Clarence Harmon. Controversy over sergeants exam taken by officers; Harmon's push for the police department to adopt its first-ever affirmative action plan in 1980; How his views have changed on race and gender preference.
- St. Louis mayor `finds' $8 million for hospital. // AHA News;05/12/97, Vol. 33 Issue 18, p6
Reports on the eight million dollars offered by St. Louis City Mayor Clarence Harmon to help keep St. Louis Regional Medical Center open in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Missouri. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;08/13/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30208, p27
Reports on the announcement of Saint Louis, Missouri Mayor Clarence Harmon on the delayed improvement project of the city's Lambert Airport. Need for an approval of the project by the US Federal Aviation Administration.