Straggles of a Startup
- Learning to play by rules that aren't always fair. Maurer, Mickey // Indianapolis Business Journal;05/01/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p11A
Focuses on lessons learned by the author from competition in the cable television market in Indiana. State law that forbids the granting of exclusive franchises; Author's experience with filing of a grant in cable television in Franfort; Factors that make entrepreneurship exciting.
- Conn. Won't rim Franchises Over Rates. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;2/17/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 7, p16
Reports on the denial of petition from state senators by Connecticut regulators that called for reductions in franchise-renewal spans for cable operators that raise rates in excess of the cost-of-living index and fail to support community programming. Senators that filed the petition; Factors...
- Overbuilds Gain Franchises, Seek Others. Estrella, Joe; Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;09/25/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 39, p8
Reports the franchises gained by several cable companies in the United States. List of franchises signing deals with Digital Access Inc. and Everest Connections; Details on the cable market in several states; Companies focusing on second-tier markets.
- N.J. Pol Wants to Aid Overbuild Efforts. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;9/3/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 36, p8
Reports the drive of Senator Richard Dodey to allow cable competitors to receive better franchise terms over incumbent operators in the U.S. Impact of the move on program providers; Negotiation of regional franchises; Limitations of the franchise proposals.
- L.A. OPERATORS PREVIEW POSITIONS. Figler, Andrea // Cable World (10427228);4/1/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 13, p6
Reports the plans of cable operators in Los Angeles, California to renew the franchise-renewal negotiations in 2002.
- Cable, the value-added medium. Higgins, John M. // Broadcasting & Cable;05/12/97, Vol. 127 Issue 20, p90
Speculates on the payoffs of starting cable television networks. Walt Disney Co.'s purchase of Capital Cities/ABC Inc.; Strong financial characteristics of cable programming; Cost of starting a cable programming network business; Annualized rate of return of a straight start-ups; Digital...
- Franchise Fracas. // CableFAX Daily;2/17/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 33, p2
Focuses on the legislation introduced by U.S. Senators concerning franchise agreements in the cable and telecommunication industry, in February 2006. Organization supporting the legislation; Reason for the opposition of the National Cable and Telecommunications Association to the legislation.
- Utah Bill Creates Hurdles for Munis. Estrella, Joe // Multichannel News;03/19/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p18
Reports the passing of the House Bill 149, regulating the franchise terms granted to a municipally owned network in Utah. Discouragement of localities from competing as cable retailers; Denial of using proceeds to bankroll municipally owned telecommunications network; Protection of taxpayers'...
- Cable TV's Malthusian Crunch. Gunther, Marc // Fortune;6/8/1998, Vol. 137 Issue 11, p44
Looks at the increasing number of cable television channels available in the United States as of spring 1998. Reasons for the proliferation; The daunting economics facing cable channel startups.